Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jm30_gw

Which Vibernum to plant as a specimen?

jm30
14 years ago

I was wondering what would be a good vibernum to plant as a single specimen next to a driveway. I've never grown vibernum, so I'm not sure which way to go. It's not my driveway, it's my neighbors. I'm the only person in my neighborhood that really gardens and landscapes, so I get all the questions from the neighbors. She has her heart set on vibernum, preferably a white flowering variety. And she wants it be planted alone, beside the driveway. I think a more upright one, around 10-12' would fit the space well. It is a full sun site, with no wind protection. I would say the soil is probably neutral, as mine is. The common vibernums I am familiar with look better grown together as a hedge. I'm just not familiar enough with the species to pick one with a good, interesting form to stand by itself.

Comments (14)

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

The 'Shasta' is certain beautiful and would be wonderful if you have the space for it. There are two other considerations she might have in mind since she mentioned viburnum:

- she could be thinking about a "snowball" type viburnum like: Viburnum opulus 'Sterile', Viburnum opulus 'Roseum' or the chinese one, Viburnum macrocephalum.

- or she might have heard that viburnums are fragrant and be longing for something like: Viburnum carlesii or Viburnum x carlcephalum.

It might be good to show her pictures of different ones and ask her about any particular characteristics before choosing.

Good luck!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    14 years ago

i like my fragrant mohawk ....its not that aggressive ...

ken

• whaas_5a
    14 years ago

Most of mine are only planted as specimans.

We could better help you make a selection if you tell us what you preferer in regards to smaller leaf vs big leaf, Glossy leaf vs. matte leaf, darker leaf vs. lighter leaf.

For a large, matte texture, dark leaf the Mohawk is an excellent choice. Its not fussy with its conditions. Flowers were phenomonal for me this year.

If you want smaller, glossy, light green leaves a Blachhaw Viburnum would be a great choice. The fall color on mine this past year was vibrant red...almost rivaled a burning bush. Not sure how consistant it will be though as its just a 4 footer right now.

• prairiegirlz5
    14 years ago

For something different, I recommend Viburnum sargentii 'Onondaga'. The tag on mine states that the mature size is 6-8' tall x 6-8' wide, but it could possibly grow twice that much. It would need to be planted at least 4' from the driveway. It is cold hardy to at least -30 degrees F to -20 degrees F. The foliage is a dark green, and it has a very dense, upright, rounded shape. The flowers are the stunner, they consist of inner fertile flowers that are reddish with outer sterile flowers that are white. The contrast is quite striking. It blooms in early summer here in IL. My tag states that "the young maroon leaves change to red-purple in fall" but I haven't had mine long enough to comment on fall color. As previously stated, it would need a pollinator in order to fruit; not sure that you'd want that near your car anyway though!

Another option that might work is Viburnum plicatum 'Summer Snowflake'. This sounds more like what you both have in mind, I think. The growth habit on this one is more layered, definitely upright, with more mature shrubs exhibiting a tiered effect that is also quite striking. The summer blooms are pure white, and look like lace-cap hydrangea flowers. And the bloom is extended all summer long. Mine are under a maple tree, and can you believe it, they're still growing and blooming. I do plan to move them, or possibly trade one for another variety. I think viburnums make great specimens!

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Other than Doublefile Viburnum, Burkwood Viburnum has specimen character. Many others do not, producing open cat's cradles of thin stems.

• nbeckm1187_aol_com
    12 years ago

I can't find the Burkwood viburnum for sale anywhere. It sounds wonderful. I live near Chicago.

• christie_sw_mo
    12 years ago

Another vote for 'Shasta' if you have room. It's not fragrant but it's showier in bloom than the two fragrant ones that I have (Mohawk and Aurora). I think it's in bloom a little longer too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google - viburnum 'Shasta'

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    12 years ago

My suggestion would be viburnum plicatum 'Popcorn'. Can get to 10-12 foot tall and can also be pruned into a tree form plant if so desired. No fruit and usually good fall color. Bloom production is great with tennis ball size white clusters opposite each other along the stems but are not fragrant. My second choice would be Onondago with it's very striking blooms.

Marshall

• Evergreen-shrubs.com
    10 years ago

My favorite Viburnum is Prague viburnum because it has very long glossy leaves, and gets clusters of white flowers. It's a very hardy shrub that can take wind and just about any other condition. I have even seen them trained into small trees by cutting off the lower branches. For all the info on this and other viburnums, check out my link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Prague Viburnum

• Katrina Spears
    6 years ago

Hi Nbeckm1187 I purchased 2 from Lowes at the brickyard. I believe they were $40 each. If you can get to the Farmers Market Garden Center, they have a few other types but not the Burkwood. In forest Park, Good Earth Garden has 3 types that are just as gorgeous for 30% off and about $28 that are in 3 gallon pots

• ilovemytrees
    6 years ago

I planted 25 Nannberry, the tallest of all Viburnums, earlier this spring, and they were all decapitated, split about 1/3 down from the top, from our rural winds. It only took a week for that to happen. Pissed me off. They were planted bareroot, and were about 2ft tall when planted. Needless to say, I will never plant Viburnum again.

• Katrina Spears
    6 years ago
    @ilovemytrees my word! Im sorry this happened. How long did it take for them to grow tall? I have only recently planted 2 in my back yard. Hope they last. 25
    Of them sounds like you're in an open space. Do you have photos? Im sure they were gorgeous
  • ilovemytrees
    6 years ago

Katrina, I don't have any pics. Again, I bought them at 2ft tall and they were only in my ground for a week before they were decapitated. They were bareroot and dormant when I planted them so I never got to see what they looked like. I dug them all up, threw them away, and planted common lilacs in their spots. To me they're so much better than Viburnums. They stand up to the strongest of winds as if they're not bothered in the slightest.

Yes, I'm in a wide open area, although a corner section of my back yard abuts to my neighbor's Christmas tree farm, but since he sells them every year most stand only 6-10ft tall etc so they don't provide much of wind protection.