Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Witch hazel looking awful!

Posted by ctlady z5 CT (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 9, 10 at 22:25

Not sure whether to post this in trees or shrubs or the New England forum so will start with the shrub experts:

My neighbor's mature witch hazel is showing some serious signs of distress. We aren't sure if the symptoms are related or not. First, there are what appear to be rust spots on the leaves (visible in the second picture). More seriously, every branch has some healthy leaves, and some totally dry and curled ones. It has been very hot and dry in New England recently -- could the leaf damage be simply stress from the heat and drought? I have witch hazels in my yard (two doors away) as well, and have some of the rust spots, but not the dry, curled foliage.

Any suggestions as to what might be going on (and what to do about it) would be most welcome!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Witch hazel looking awful!

my money is on not enough water, too much heat.
There are trees and shrubs I have never watered and they are wilted and a couple of days away from looking like the above...unless I cave and water.

Which I will do.

o
RE: Witch hazel looking awful!

Looks like Phyllosticta hamamelidis, witch hazel blight. Some varieties are more susceptible than others, especially
popular variety 'Arnold Promise'

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here