Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
weeping pussy willow tree

Posted by mr.coneflower wisconsin (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 1, 10 at 22:27

hi i have a weeping pussy willow tree in my front yard that was doing great until they cut down some trees on our street that gave it some shade --now it gets a lot more sun then it used to and the leaves are curling--it looks like it is to dry for it---is the sun burning the roots or is i got some disease?? can anyone help?????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: weeping pussy willow tree

a picture would be worth a couple million words of speculation ...

but if the leaves went from full shade.. to full sun when the sun is at its most intense levels..

most likely.. they got sunburned.. and fried themselves ... otherwise known as scorch ...

i would suspect that it has nothing to do with the roots per se ... but the plant might also benefit for some extra watering ... if you notice that the soil is drying much faster with all that sun ...

PW is pretty hard to abuse to death .. and i suspect that it will recover.. again.. w/o a pic that isnt easy ...

all you can do is watch and wait .... it has plenty of time to reflush.. with leaves that will emerge... acclimated to the new sun levels ....

good luck

ken

o
RE: weeping pussy willow tree

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 2, 10 at 13:55

If the trees were cut down just recently the willow is probably getting sun burned due to the sudden change in aspect at a time when it was in leaf. While willows generally need full sun for best development leaves formed on yours while it was still in the shade will not be able to maintain themselves after a sudden radical increase in exposure to hot sun. If all other factors - such as keeping the roots moist - are kept favorable specimen should be able to produce new leaves and continue on, likely enjoy the removal of the shade.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here