Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leaves on my Buddleia, (Butterfly Bush)

Posted by cadence 8b (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 1, 14 at 23:02

I've had my BB for about 4 or 5 years now and I noticed that this year the leaves on one side are completely green and on the other side the leaves are variegated (green with a cream/white edging) The bush is located on the west side of the house where it gets sun for most of the day. It's beginning to bloom out now and appears quite healthy. I'm just curious about the leaves and what would cause this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leaves on my Buddleia, (Butterfly Bush)

You didn't say; was this a variegated plant that is now producing green leaves or a green plant that is becoming variegated? The former is the much, much more common occurrence, so I will write my answer with that scenario in mind.

The variegated buddleia plants, as with many variegated varieties of plants, is not very stable. You need to be watchful and prune off any green-leaved branches that develop as soon as possible. Variegated buddleia are much less vigorous, so the green-leafed branches that form will quickly become the dominate leaf form of a bush, if allowed. This is referred to as reverting. Variegated plants that do not tend to revert to non-variegated growth are referred to as stable.

This post was edited by Gyr_Falcon on Wed, Jul 2, 14 at 1:14

o
RE: Leaves on my Buddleia, (Butterfly Bush)

did anyone wash the siding with a detergent???

how about a pic

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here