Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laceyvail

Clethra 'Sixteen Candles'-Your experience please

laceyvail 6A, WV
16 years ago

I recently ordered this shrub for fall delivery, and now I'm getting nervous. The catalog (a very respected one) describes their original plant as "Now 7 years old, the plant measures 30 inces high and 42 inches wide." I'm counting on this, that is no wild suckering. What has your experience been with this cultivar in particular?

Comments (29)

• ego45
    16 years ago

It suckers as all Clethras do, but not to the extend of not being unmanageable.
    Even here in 6b it always have tips dieback, so it reach 30-32" high only by the end of the season being cut back to 20-24" in a spring.

• thistle5
    16 years ago

I don't know what's wrong w/me, I've killed 2. In the same spot, I've had luck w/ Japanese maples, buttonbush,itea, blueberries, hydrangea, fargesia, heuchera. The 2nd one I got, I kept it in the pot a little longer, trying to baby it along, but it died, too.

We have had a rough summer, drought & some extreme temps, but I think this is one plant I'm just destined to kill...

• joycenh
    16 years ago

I was just about to ask the same question in the hope that Sixteen Candles did sucker some. I have only had mine for a year and so far it shows no suckering but I love it so much I would like it to spread. I love this shrub because of the glossy dark green leaves which are much more attractive than those of any other clethra I have seen. Of course it also has the wonderful perfumed flowers.

• chelone
    16 years ago

I replaced a failing Kalmia with one in late spring of this year. It's small right now (about 18") but very bushy and seems to be doing quite well.

I, too, was taken with the glossy foliage and managed to miss the flowers while on a roadtrip (damnit!). But I'm interested in easy and "bullet-proof".

• Loretta NJ Z6
    16 years ago

I have one for a few years. No wild suckering here. Fortunately it had suckered a little, within the range of the plant. Otherwise, I'm not sure I would have it right now. It had died back a lot last winter. No flowers this year.

• ego45
    16 years ago

I also had a very sparse blooms this year. Not only on 16 Candles, on all of mine.

• ditas
    14 years ago

Hi - I planted C-16 Candles in the fall of '07 in a bright shady front foundation bed - I was told that she will do well in the site, just be sure mulch heavily for Winter. She completely missed the damage of Winter's return in April - broke dormancy in late May'08, even gave me a few blossoms in June! Like Joycenh & Chelone, I fell for the dark, shiny foliage & promise of lovely, quiet scent + will do OK in bright shade (1 hr of late aft. sun).

This year, due to past, very, harsh/killing Winter, broke dormancy 3 wks later than late habit, but survived ... however only 2 canes ... was told by nursery to wait & give TLC & later, prune all the obviously dead canes. The 2 canes running diff directions, have grown some branches, & managed to send blooms (5 total)/odd looking bush ... now I just found 2 new buds!!! Â;)

Sorry for long story ... my ??? ... do I:
    *Prune after the blooms are spent?
    *Prune in Spring to shape?
    *Give over-wintering coverups?
    *Double up on mulch?
    * Will she really do OK in the bright shade site?

Many TIA! Â;)

• whaas_5a
    14 years ago

Suckers are the least of your worries.

Its a little more fussy on its conditions and rabbits love em!!

I've have Ruby Spice. Whens its thriving its the habit and leaves that very attractive.

• ego45
    14 years ago

MD, it blooms on new wood, so prune/shape it as you need it, after the bloom or in a spring it doesn't matter.

• ego45
    14 years ago

If you prune it right now, I'd guess that (in your zone) new growth will not have time to harden till winter. So, early spring you'll have your window of opportunity to be open again.

• ditas
    14 years ago

Many thanks again George ... makes a lot of sense ... I was, indeed, told that some of the newer limbs do get frost bitten!

Will report back next season ... surely, we can't have 2 bad Winters in a row!!! Â;)

• bogturtle
    14 years ago

Mine has done more suckering and spreading than any other shrub I have. Really don't mind, but can see how some people would. Have several now, after buying one, the suckers being easily potted up.

• flora2b
    14 years ago

Deer love mine....it remains 24" high because that's the herbivores pruning range through the fence.

• stimpy926
    14 years ago

'Sixteen Candles' is touted for being non-sprawling, or splaying, falling open, as 'Hummingbird' and the straight species are known to do.
    Does it live up to the claim?

• ditas
    14 years ago

Hi Flora - Sorry about sneaky, munching deers!!! I don't mind mine low as long as she fills out in a bright/shaded exposure ... what kind of exposure does yours have? TIA!!!

Paula - No experience yet, of any Hummers visiting, as there are other more attractive blossoms around, they come to. Also, as I posted above, mine nearly became a casualty of last Winter ... only produced too few, blossoms to attract those tiny Hummers! Hopefully can report something next season! Â;)

• ego45
    14 years ago

IME, 'Hummingbird' and 'Sixteen Candles' are visualy almost undistingvishable, though "H' is a little tiny bid more open than '16', but that could be just a by-product of a slightly different sun exposure they grow.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

I have 'Hummingbird' and I love mine. It scared me the first winter when it was so late to start growing, but other than that it has been carefree, growing well in what I don't think are ideal conditions for it, in dry part shade. It is a little floppy this year, where it was not last year. I think I deadheaded it last year and maybe I should have left it alone. Maybe it was just all the cloudy rainy weather we had this year. Mine didn't bloom as well as last year either. The foliage is great. No insect or disease problems at all, despite all the rain. It is slowly spreading out, but not in an obtrusive way. I sometimes see a rabbit in the yard, but have never seen any damage to it.

I was thinking of getting 'Sixteen Candles' if it was smaller and tighter than 'Hummingbird'. Are you saying it isn't, ego?

• ego45
    14 years ago

PM, it isn't as per my observations.
    I found '16' to be a better bloomer, but again, it could be just a location/sun factor, not a particular cultivar's feature.

• ditas
    14 years ago

Thought to bring this thread back up for update on my *2-caned 16 Candles C* I didn't prune before Winter as there might not be time for new growth & was hoping for even just suckers - no such luck. She leafed out quite early (this mid-Apr) due to the early arrival of Jun-like Spring ... but still no luck from the bases. My ???
    *** Should I prune those 2 limbs?
    *** By how much would be reasonable? ... limbs are abt 2' long w/ several thin branches leafing as well.

I appreciate your input! Â;)

• ego45
    14 years ago

Ditas,
    I'd venture a two guesses:
    a) too young
    and
    b) not enough moisture in a summer.

BTW, pruning will not encourage suckering at all.

• ditas
    14 years ago

Thank you George - I followed your advises in this thread above - the igloo effect of our very snowy Winter '09-'10 + very early sunny/warm Spring were reasons for this mo-early break of dormancy.

Can I prune hard now (by how much?), before those 2 primary branches fully leaf out - to try & encourage more tiny branches from them?

TIA!

• WendyB 5A/MA
    12 years ago

bump

how are your 16's doing? how tall are they now? how are they blooming? surviving winters? suckering?

to those of you have also have Hummingbird, are their fragrances the same?

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I had three. one died when it was very small. One died this year for no reason I could discern (it never suckered at all.) The third suckers wildly and at considerable distance. I'm still deciding whether to keep it.

• dianet47
    9 years ago

I had three new Clethra Sixteen Candles put in during June. They bloomed beautifully this summer and leaves were yellow early in the fall. Now in December they look dead. I can't seem to find out what they are supposed to look like in the winter. Do they die back or are mine just DEAD!! Help!

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Diane, it's a shrub. It's winter. Of course, it looks dead. So do all the other shrubs and trees.

BTW, I finally removed my last Clethra. They completely underwhelmed me and I'd had it with the suckering.

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

laceyvail, there are broadleaved shrubs and trees that are evergreen. My garden is full of them.
    Clethra alnifolia and it's cultivars, 'Hummingbird', etc., are deciduous.
    Mike

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mike, I believe I know that. I've been gardening for almost 50 years. I had a garden consulting business. What is your point?

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

You said, "Diane, it's a shrub. It's winter. Of course, it looks dead. So do all the other shrubs and trees."
    My point is, not all shrubs and trees look dead in the winter. I assumed you knew that, but maybe the OP didn't.
    Mike