Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Indian Hawthorn Shrubs Dying

Posted by jackdd 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 20, 09 at 8:16

I have several Indian Hawthorn shrubs in the beds on the norht side of my house that are about 8 yrs. old, 3 to 5 ft. tall and most look very healthy. Occasionally, one of the shrubs just decides to die, usually in late summer. The leaves turn brown and just shrivel up for no apparent reason. This process usually takes only a few days and dies very wuickly. I don't see any visible problem shuch as mildew, black leaf spots, insects, or anything. Sometimes, just one branch will die and I prune it off. The plant will eventually grow back full, but it takes a year or two. Sometimes, though, the whole shrub will die. Does anyone have any ideas on what could cause this and have a remedy to stop it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Indian Hawthorn Shrubs Dying

Presuming this is Rhaphiolepis, could be anything with the info presented, but they don't thrive in that position and need more sun. So they are weak already and susceptible to whatever pathogen is there waiting for an opportunity to attack stressed and weakened plants. The remedy would be to plant them in a place with more sun and replace with a more suitable plant.

Dan

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 20, 09 at 10:36

As soon as you notice one of the branches dieing (after making reasonably sure it really is dieing), remove the entire branch, bag it in a large plastic trash bag, and take it to your local extension agent. Asked them to try to ID the problem. I don't know what the problem is, but I'd bet, if the branches and shrubs are dieing that fast there will be clues on close inspection.

o

Indian Hawthorn is susceptible to Fire Blight.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 20, 09 at 22:06

And numerous other banes. If the spot and climate is just right, they can make impressive specimens. Otherwise...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here