Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carrie630

My reblooming weigelas..is this normal?

carrie630
15 years ago

this never happened. My weigelas are blooming again. While I am loving this, is this normal? Also, they are rather large and I am wondering after these blooms, this fall could I trim them a bit? Thanks

Carrie

Comments (11)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago

anything is possible ....

i dont think you will ever find out why it is out of phase ...

weigelia is NOT pruned a little ... proper pruning is by removal of up to 1/3 of the branches as close to the ground as possible ... aka rejuvenation pruning ... lots of posts about that..

if you shear it.. you will end up with problems.. in the long run .... the most important being that you will be removing next years flower buds, which are forming right now...

good luck

ken

• carrie630
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So you are saying that in the fall, best to cut six foot weigelas down to two feet? I think I may have done just about that last fall...

Carrie

• alexis717_df
    15 years ago

Carrie, don't feel alone my Weigela's, White Knights and Carnavals, are also blooming again. I just figured I would enjoy it and not worry about it.

• cindra
    15 years ago

It's pretty common for weigelas to bloom in late spring/early summer and again mid-late summer/early fall. I do my pruning after the first flush not the second. I would also like to add that the second flush of blooms is never as heavy (in my experience) as the first but nice none the less! :-)

Cindi

• tishfromwis
    15 years ago

It is normal. I get a second bloom and as Cindi stated, it is not as profuse as the first...

• lingrow08
    15 years ago

Thanks to you all for clearing up a sticky pruning question! I work part-time as a gardener for a local lady, and have always done the after-bloom thinning of her weigela, with maybe a snip here or there for aesthetic purposes. However, I am an elementary school indoor custodian full-time, and my boss is the "chop 'em all back with the pruners in October" kind of idiot! It falls to me in the summer to do weeding and cleanup around all of our plantings. By now everything is very overgrown, and not too much bloom was ever in evidence.(Except for a Buddleia that I managed to cut back during one of his winter vacations!) I am seeing a few blooms on the Weigela, and was wondering if it was too late to thin them now.(will be leaving them-maybe I can find time in Spring) We also have Fothergilla, what I believe is Itea, and a whole hedge along the parking lot of Goldflame Spirea. I started eliminating dead wood from the Spirea and deadheading it. It looks so much healthier; it has just finished blooming; is my timing okay? I also want to prune the Itea, as it seems to be done blooming. I would appreciate any advice as to pruning timing for any of these specific shrubs. The school is just a hop-skip-and-jump from the shore of Lake Ontario, West of Rochester. Thanks again!

• mmqchdygg
    15 years ago

Ok, my next question is: once the bloom-show is over (first flush), how do I know WHICH branches to lob off? Should I be tagging the blooming ones, and taking those out (1/3) after bloom? Is new growth (next year's blooms) evident right away on a weigela so I know what NOT to take out?

-mmqc, pruning newbie.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    15 years ago

If you prune promptly after the primary bloom flush, you don't need to be concerned about which branches/stems you are removing. It is the growth that forms during the summer months and into fall that will provide the next season's flowers. And also what results in any sporadic late rebloom.

• clmc
    13 years ago

mine have rebloomed a little now in June. My question is should I already prune the plant. I want it to drape , or waterfall which ever you call it..Its still growing straight up no drapeing yet. If I prune it wont it take longer to drape? Its a verigated weigela..Thanks

• whiteowl1970
    13 years ago

Am I right in thinking i should trim back to the root any shoots i dont want that are draping or growing over where i dont want them to after the first spring blooming?