Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My reblooming weigelas..is this normal?

Posted by carrie630 z7bNC (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 28, 08 at 8:24

this never happened. My weigelas are blooming again. While I am loving this, is this normal? Also, they are rather large and I am wondering after these blooms, this fall could I trim them a bit? Thanks

Carrie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My reblooming weigelas..is this normal?

anything is possible ....

i dont think you will ever find out why it is out of phase ...

weigelia is NOT pruned a little ... proper pruning is by removal of up to 1/3 of the branches as close to the ground as possible ... aka rejuvenation pruning ... lots of posts about that..

if you shear it.. you will end up with problems.. in the long run .... the most important being that you will be removing next years flower buds, which are forming right now...

good luck

ken

o

So you are saying that in the fall, best to cut six foot weigelas down to two feet? I think I may have done just about that last fall...

Carrie

o

Carrie, don't feel alone my Weigela's, White Knights and Carnavals, are also blooming again. I just figured I would enjoy it and not worry about it.

o

Carrie, NO. What Ken said was to prune in the early spring or after flowering. If you prune now, you will take off the flower buds which are forming now, to flower in the spring. Prune after flowering, and the best thing to do is to take out at ground level a third of the stems. Do this annually, and you should have a nicely shaped bush of not too big a size.

If you REALLY can't stand the size and shape of the bush, and don't mind losing the flowers for next year - except that you MIGHT get late summer blooms like this year - then you can take the whole thing to the ground, or to no more than 6-8". Don't do that now, as the new growth may not harden off enough to resist any early frosts and may be winter-killed, thus losing the blooms anyway. YOU MIGHT just get away with it, if we get another long, warm fall like we got last fall. So it's up to you to decide if you want to chance it....

o

It's pretty common for weigelas to bloom in late spring/early summer and again mid-late summer/early fall. I do my pruning after the first flush not the second. I would also like to add that the second flush of blooms is never as heavy (in my experience) as the first but nice none the less! :-)

Cindi

o

It is normal. I get a second bloom and as Cindi stated, it is not as profuse as the first...

o

Thanks to you all for clearing up a sticky pruning question! I work part-time as a gardener for a local lady, and have always done the after-bloom thinning of her weigela, with maybe a snip here or there for aesthetic purposes. However, I am an elementary school indoor custodian full-time, and my boss is the "chop 'em all back with the pruners in October" kind of idiot! It falls to me in the summer to do weeding and cleanup around all of our plantings. By now everything is very overgrown, and not too much bloom was ever in evidence.(Except for a Buddleia that I managed to cut back during one of his winter vacations!) I am seeing a few blooms on the Weigela, and was wondering if it was too late to thin them now.(will be leaving them-maybe I can find time in Spring) We also have Fothergilla, what I believe is Itea, and a whole hedge along the parking lot of Goldflame Spirea. I started eliminating dead wood from the Spirea and deadheading it. It looks so much healthier; it has just finished blooming; is my timing okay? I also want to prune the Itea, as it seems to be done blooming. I would appreciate any advice as to pruning timing for any of these specific shrubs. The school is just a hop-skip-and-jump from the shore of Lake Ontario, West of Rochester. Thanks again!

o

Ok, my next question is: once the bloom-show is over (first flush), how do I know WHICH branches to lob off? Should I be tagging the blooming ones, and taking those out (1/3) after bloom? Is new growth (next year's blooms) evident right away on a weigela so I know what NOT to take out?

-mmqc, pruning newbie.

o

If you prune promptly after the primary bloom flush, you don't need to be concerned about which branches/stems you are removing. It is the growth that forms during the summer months and into fall that will provide the next season's flowers. And also what results in any sporadic late rebloom.

o

mine have rebloomed a little now in June. My question is should I already prune the plant. I want it to drape , or waterfall which ever you call it..Its still growing straight up no drapeing yet. If I prune it wont it take longer to drape? Its a verigated weigela..Thanks

o

Am I right in thinking i should trim back to the root any shoots i dont want that are draping or growing over where i dont want them to after the first spring blooming?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here