Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treeter

Need Shrub ID

Treeter
11 years ago

I had a row of shrubs growing along a new property I purchased. I was hoping you guys could identify the plants for me. I have attached pictures of some new growth and of the flower.

The plants are now about 3-4' tall. The growth is with a large number of ~1/2" stems coming from the ground in a tight cluster. I would say that branching is pretty moderate compared to other shrubs/bushes. I can get a picture of the plants later if it will really help.

Comments (10)

• simcan
    11 years ago

It looks like a bridal wreath spirea to me.

• Treeter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

wow!

I googled for hours trying to figure it out and all I had to do was post a leaf picture on here, lol.

I believe you are correct. Mine are a bit leggy compared to the pictures on the internet but they have also been very neglected.

Thanks!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

use the search function here in GW.. such was covered in spring ....

spirea.. can be COMPLETELY cut to the ground... and pop right back up.. looking much younger ... i call them a RUN IT OVER WITH THE TRUCK type shrubs ... some peeps do this EVERY spring ....

when you do it is the only issue.. and i dont know where you are ... in colder zones.. you dont want to do it late in the year.. and have it waste too much energy resprouting late in fall, when it should be storing energy for winter ...

look at your first post.. next to your name.. it says NONE.. can you go to your members page.. and change that to either your zone.. or the nearest large city.. so we dont have to keep asking you where you are.. because one thing for sure.. i am not going to remember .. post to post ..

bottom line.. you cant kill this thing.. and its too old.. and needs a good renovation.. see link for options.. in case you dont have a truck.. lol

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• Treeter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Ken thanks for your input again. I think you misinterpreted my original post because I made a typo. I meant to say have instead of had in the first sentence.

I plan to keep the plants. My goal for the ID was to then figure out how to care for them.

• Treeter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oops. I think I am the one that misinterpreted your post Ken. It appears that mine may be a candidate for some drastic trimming. I do happen to own a large truck, lol.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Lololol, ken's suggestions WERE for your existing shrubs. You mentioned that they are leggy and neglected. Cutting them all the way back to the ground in late winter/early spring is the very best method of improving the condition of these plants....it's called rejuvenation or renovation pruning.

Plants should be cut cleanly to six inch stumps or less. They will regrow quickly and you'll be happy you did it. In subsequent years, you can maintain a full appearance by selecting and cutting back a portion (twenty to thirty percent) of stems all the way back.

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

Looks like Van Houtte spirea.

• Treeter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

bboy, you may be correct. That does look very close.

At the very least I know that is a spiraea sp now.

• simcan
    11 years ago

I think Van Houtte and Bridal Wreath are the same Spirea, though I could be mistaken.

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

They are simcan - Spiraea x vanhouteii 'Bridal wreath'.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County