Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patiomaiden2008

Loropetalum: bright red leaf color...problem?

patiomaiden2008
11 years ago

We installed several loropetalum "Ever Red" shrubs in my town home community about three weeks ago...they seem to be adjusting well...already have new growth occurring. Yesterday as I was watering I noticed a few "flame red" leaves on a couple of the shrubs and was wondering whether this is a sign of too much or too little water?

Comments (5)

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

If it is just a few, don't worry about it. Some of the maroon-leaved Loropetalum turn bright red in fall, and it may be that yours are turning early as a result of transplant. It's hard to overwater something that young in only three weeks. Just make sure that the root balls don't dry out - you may have to stick your hands in the dirt and see what's going on. Not sure where you are, but if you are in a summer dry area, irrigation is particularly important as the air has little humidity in addition to there being no rain.

• patiomaiden2008
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the reply. I live in Northern Virginia and we have had very hot/dry weather but are making sure to keep up with the watering. In checking online, I see that some LP turn bright red in Autumn but I don't know if "Ever Red" is one of them...I can't find anything which says that they do. We installed 11 plants which the landscaper purchased from at least two different nurseries...and in closely comparing the crimson color of their leaves I'm beginning to suspect two different varieties were installed (the nursery may have misidentified the plants.) I guess we'll find out this Autumn and next Spring when they bloom. If they were drying out, would I start seeing a few yellow leaves?

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

It is not at all unlikely that different varieties were planted! There are a bunch of maroon-leaved varieties and nurseries mislabel things all the time. As you say, you'll find out in spring, or by their growth habits (some are larger than others). When plants dry out, you usually see the leaves actually get dry, or at the very least take on a dull, matte finish. Ever Red (which is technically 'Chang Nian Hong,' is one of the smaller ones (allegedly gets to 5-6'). Also, if it is just a few leaves, those plants may simply be shedding a bit as a result of transplant. The key is that the water is soaking the rootball, which if the shrubs were planted recently, remember, is the size of the container that they were in. Many newly planted shrubs are 'watered' and the water fails to soak the rootball because it is directed outside the actual spot where the roots are, and the plant dies, even though it appears to have been watered. This is especially important when shrubs are planted when they are not dormant.

I have a few of them but mine haven't been in very long as they have only been available here for a couple of years. This is the first dark-leaved Loropetalum that I have planted as I don't like pink flowers. This one comes close to red, though a cherry-red,not a true red.

Good luck, they are lovely shrubs!

Sara

• patiomaiden2008
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Sara. It will be interesting to see what turns out:) We too prefer the darker cherry although we've planted several low growing "Purple Pixie" in the front part of our community because we needed its short height and weeping habit.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

Can't find 'Purple Pixie' around here! I agree, great habit. A friend has them flanking her front walkway and they look fabulous (see photo below). She had a hard time finding hers and that source no longer has them. Another great choice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Loropetalum 'Shang-lo' (Purple Pixie)