Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
feedindy

Look at this picture of my yard, what should I do to it?

feedindy
12 years ago

Ok I have attached a picture of our side yard of our recently purchased home. It is a true mess! I want to clean it up and make it beautiful.

Let me describe the photo. The pergola is in the center with wisteria all over it. Behind the pergola is a fence. There are tall phlox which grow behind the pergola with vinca, violets, and English ivy on the ground. On either side of the pergola is forsythia lining the fence. To the right of the pergola we have a small apple tree, and out of view there is a 20 ft peach tree. To the left of the pergola but just out of view is a 20 ft white birch and small pond. You may be able to see the neighbors house peeking from behind all of this. (Please ignore the mess under the pergola ��)

My problem is the forsythia. I do not like it. I hate the look of it, except for the 3 weeks it blooms. I like that it is kind of tall enough to block the neighbors.

What shrub or small tree could I replace them with along the fence line that will block the neighbors and not be a maintenance nightmare? The soil is super clay with small rocks. We get down to -10 here. The pergola and wisteria are the only things I want to keep.

Something at least 8-10 ft tall would be nice.

Here is a link that might be useful: my side yard

Comments (2)