Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cottoneaster white spongy spores?

Posted by Jodie1718 4 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 10:04

Hello. I have a cottoneaster young shrub with a few white spongy spore/like spots on the tops of leaves. I am not native to this area,so am not sure what this is. It comes off readily by hand. What is the best way to treat this? Just remove noticeable spots?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cottoneaster white spongy spores?

you provide a pic ... to secure a complete ID ... and then you act accordingly ...

no treatment .. until you ID it ...

if you cant do a pic.. take a leaf to your county extension office ... or a high end nursery ...

ken

o
RE: Cottoneaster white spongy spores?

Jodie, you are encouraged to share pictures with us; that's the only we can help with an ID. Please let us know your general vicinity, too. That can be very important in narrowing down to an accurate ID.

Since you say that these things are easily removed by hand, I could guess that your Cotoneaster (one 't') might have a scale insect infestation.....but pictures are really necessary for anything more than a guess.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here