Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Arborvitae growth rate?

Posted by lilyfinch 6a pa (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 12, 09 at 10:13

I need a little reassurance here, i bought 8 arborvitaes in little pots, they are about 1.5 ft high . I was told they grow fast, so im just wondering how fast they grow for you? I know they need the first year to establish their roots, so next year can i expect a couple feet of growth? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Arborvitae growth rate?

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 12, 09 at 10:40

Growth rates among arborvitaes vary across the spectrum from extremely slow (miniature and dwarf varities) to quite rapid (Green Giants, for instance). What type (species, cultivar, etc) did you buy?

o

first/.. they are conifers .... not shrubs.. those words will matter in the future.. especially in regard to pruning ...

second.. as noted.. arb really means little ... we need to know the second latin name.. as well as a cultivar name.. to be able to research the annual growth rate.. after establishment ...

ken

o

Wed, Aug 12, 09 at 16:12

All arborvitae are conifers.
Some arborvitae are shrubs.
All arborvitae that are shrubs are also conifers.

o
RE: Arborvitae growth rate?...P.S.

Wed, Aug 12, 09 at 16:55

P.S.
If you know the cultivar name (example: 'Hetz Midget'), you really don't have to know the species name (the second latin name). Except in rare cases, a cultivar name should only be found once within a genus.

o

True for the dwarfs growing slow - I have one that's got to be close to 20 years old and is just now about 6'.

o

Thanks for the responses! I have emerald green arborvitae. I forgot there are so many different kinds! So let me know! Thanks!

o

Thu, Aug 13, 09 at 15:53

Normal growth rates for Emerald Green (Thuja occidentalis 'Smaragd') are between 6" to 12" per year once established and tapering off as they reach about 12' to 15'. I'd be suprised to see more than about 18" per year even in ideal conditions.

o

From Googling for information on Emerald Green - which is very easy to do...

Mature Height: 10-15 ft.
Mature Width: 3-4 ft.
Growth rate: Moderate (6"-12" avg. per yr.)

Another site confirms moderate growth rate; up to a foot a year once established. Grows faster in full sun.

When it comes to living things, there are no absolutes - only guide lines arrived at by study and observation.

Protect them (especially over the winter) to avoid severe damage if you're in deer country.

o

Thu, Aug 13, 09 at 16:38

I think there is a little bit of an art to googling when it comes to getting information about plants. There are lots of sites with incorrect or misleading information. I find completely incorrect information quite often on sites like Dave's Garden and many nursery websites. Some types of sites are more reliable than others. Most of the time, I've found ag extension sites to be reasonably reliable. Anyone without quite a bit of experience should at least look at a number of sites and get an average of many opinions before accepting the data from a google search.

Oh, and the other part to the art of googling is knowing what terms to use. Sometimes five minutes of thought before googling can save you thirty minutes or more of reading and searching.

o

This cultivar is rather slow growing in my area (zone 5 Milwaukee).

Typically takes a 3ft'er 10 years before it hits 10ft.

They seem to do best in well drained, consistently moist soils.

o

I planted some Emerald Green Arborvitae a couple of years ago. I live in upstate NY and my area has a lot of clay in the soil. When I planted the trees, I purchased a few loads of good topsoil, tilled and amended the soil and then placed the trees in a raised burm(term?). They seem very happy there. They are thriving and grow at around 1ft. per year. They get a fair amount of sunlight in their location.

o

Lillyfinch,
Look at the plant places (HD, Lowes) in the end of September, buy yourself a good 6-7 footer for about 30.00 and mulch and water real well.
They aren't expensive to get a decent size tree or shrub.
i love Emerald green, I have one I bought last fall, it is small, but I knew they grew slow.
You can't beat the gorgeous green color, go buy bigger ones.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here