Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Drought Tolerant Shade Shrub - Hedge (Southern Maryland)

Posted by meadow_lark 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 12, 10 at 10:39

We have wooded property, and the neighbor behind us has a construction company. We are able to see his dumptrucks, bulldozers, etc. through the trees. (This is wooded acreage. Not an area for fence construction.)

I am considering planting groups of elaeagnus (both cherry and thorny varieties) across our back border, in the hope that in a couple of years - they will fill in and block the unsightly view.

I would love some recommendations of "like" shrubs, that can tolerate shade and drought. Shrubs that grow to 5 - 6 feet tall and wide, or larger. Also - reasonably common - as I will need to buy several, and I don't want to break the bank.

Thanks so much... Meadow Lark

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Drought Tolerant Shade Shrub - Hedge (Southern Maryland)

every county has a soil conservation district office ...

in spring.. and sometimes in fall .. they off native ... small... stock.... for wind break purposes ...

another word for a wind break.. is a sight break ...

e.g. they sell pines in my area.. 25 for $16 .... at about one foot tall ....

so you might be able to cover a lot of ground ... for not a lot of money.. with stock that is chosen for your county ...

the lists usually offer trees.. conifers.. and shrubs ....

thats were i would start ... let us know what they suggest ....

ken

ps: no matter what you decide to do .... go diverse .. a nice mixture of many different types of things for your project ...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here