Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how do I prune this cotoneaster?

Posted by sewnice50 z5 WI (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 27, 06 at 10:46

I tried pruning this cotoneaster a few years ago by lopping off branches at the bottom. Its now very thin and curvy looking instead of dense. How do I prune this to look more filled in? Can I shape this shrub to look better?

Also, I need to prune the junipers but the centers are very dead looking, will they come back if I prune them back hard? I eventyally want to start over with this front and side landscaping with something less dense. Any ideas?

Here is a link that might be useful: cotoneaster

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how do I prune this cotoneaster?

odds are low the junipers will come back ...

remove them completely ...

if that is the cotoneaster in the middle.. after you remove the juniper ... then decide if you still like it..

frankly .. if it were me... i would get rid of it all and start over ... you can do so much more for the house in the picture than what is there ....

ken

o

Cotoneasters can be pruned almost at will. You won't kill it but you'll have to be careful to maintain a natural look. Might be best to gradually cut out stems most of the way down until the whole plant has been cut back. New stems will grow back with a reasonable form. If you just cut the whole thing halfway it will come back a mess.

Junipers are unlikely to produce growth from the brown interiors even if you prune them hard, that's just the way they are. If they have to be cut back you could gove them a season to see if they sprout but chances are they won't.

o

Thanks for the advise. I do want to change that entire area but I just paid a bundle to redo the front yard so I need to hold back from spending. I thought a good prune would suffice for now. I will cut back the cotoneaster to the ground, next spring?? or now??
Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here