Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Burgundy/red shrub other than barberry?

Posted by ankh 4A (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 1, 08 at 10:58

I'm looking for something in the burgundy/red/purple range, hardy to 4A, other than barberries. Anything? At this point I am flexible as to size and texture. I would also consider a barberry if it were thornless, or if there were weeping varieties (if I just had to!).

I have seen some mounding acer palmatums on Sooner's website, one or two of which are listed as hardy to zone 4, but they are currently sold out, and since I'm mainly in the information-gathering phase, I would love some other ideas/knowledge/thoughts from you all.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Burgundy/red shrub other than barberry?

Forgot to mention, I already have cotinus grace, a couple physocarpus and black lace elderberry, so I would be looking for something other than those. And though I said flexible on size, I am thinking really 5 ft. or under.

o

how about this one?

Here is a link that might be useful: weigelia 'wine and roses'

o

I don't know how big a plant you're looking for. While not specifically a shrub, I have some heucheras, specifically plum pudding coral bells, that are very pretty and have that burgandy-purple shade. They can get to be about 2' high. They seem reasonably tolerant of un-ideal conditions; although they prefer light, loamy soil, I have some going successfully in clay soil I've improved with peat and compost. They're just about to bloom.

o

There is also Wiegela 'Summer Wine', which is smaller and less floriferous (I think) than the 'W&R'.

Most of the rest that I can think of off hand aren't hardy for you.....

Even though you have C. 'Grace', what about one of the other red/purple-leaved Cotinus, such as 'Royal Purple' or 'Velvet Cloak'? Their leaves turn green later than 'Grace', if at all. You would probably have to "stool" them to get the short height, but they would still flower...

It's not a shrub, but there are purple-leaved dahlias out there, mostly flowering in red - 'Bishop of Landalf' or the mix 'Bishop's Children' spring to mind. You would have to lift and store the roots over the winter, and replant come spring.....

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 3, 08 at 18:31

Prunus x cistena.

o

No purple smoke bush.
They are not hardy to zone 4.
Grace is a totally different smoke bush.
Each cultivar is different.

o
RE: Red shrub other than barberry?

Ankh,
Have you considered the purple leaf sandcherry?
They are hardy in your zone, and their foilage is striking!
They flower in early spring, and look beautiful!
THen they get bright gorgeous red leaves! All summer!
I am sure if you prune it after it flowers in spring you can keep it at the height you want.
I saw one at a nursery in April and I instantly wanted one.
THe flowers were so pretty!
They have them on sale now at nurseries.
Check them out online, they might be what you want.
Good Luck to you!

o

The prunus x cistena is a purple leaf sand cherry. I have one, and it is a nice addition to a landscape, relatively inexpensive for a large one, an easy shrub. Smells good too when it's in bloom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here