Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shrub ID Please...

Posted by graycam BC (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 7, 09 at 11:09

Hi,

Can someone please ID this shrub? I've seen a few around and would like one.

Sorry for the pic qty - from a blackberry.

Shrub is about 4 ft tall, leaves about 3 cm, and tiny pink/fucschia flowers.

Thanks so much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Whoops - image link

Sorry - wasn't presented with a file upload option. Images can be found here (2 pics)

http://plantsandbonsai.shutterfly.com/27

Here is a link that might be useful: 2 Pics of Shrub

o
RE: Shrub ID Please...

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 7, 09 at 11:34

Looks like it could be a Rhaphiolepis indica (Indian Hawthorn), but the picture quality is so bad I really can't tell. A clearer picture might be necessary for positive ID, or you could review the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Images of Rhaphiolepis indica

o

It is escallonia -- from the size of the plant and the flower color, I'd say Escallonia 'Newport Dwarf'.

o

Fri, Aug 7, 09 at 13:57

My inability to read is one thing (re another thread in the tree forum), but I know my eyes aren't that bad. How did you make that ID for certain from two picture that are so blurry? I know what Escallonia looks like, but I sure wouldn't be able to make that ID from what I saw. It's certainly a good possibility, but I wouldn't bet any more on it being that than something else.

o

Because the leaf arrangement, size, shape and the flower form/color match. It's an extremely common shrub in these parts and I sell dozens at the nursery. And it looks nothing like Raphiolepis:-)

If you enlarge the thumbnails, it is easier to see. And I didn't think the photos were all that blurry, considering they were taken with a blackberry.

o

Fri, Aug 7, 09 at 15:18

When I enlarge the photos, I can't make out anything about leaf arrangement and very little about flower form/arrangement. As a matter of fact, right after I saw your post, I looked back at the pictures to see if the flower form matched Escallonia. I couldn't/still can't tell. I guess we're looking at the same pics...

If you're sure you're sure, then I believe you.

(rubbing eyes and trying to focus)

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 8, 09 at 0:53

Actually, there is plenty enough discernible to see it is one of the dwarf escallonia cultivars. These are on the tender side, the plantings in the yard across the lane from me north of Seattle were nearly killed by this last winter. The ones I had planted here on Camano got pulled out this summer.

o

Yes, certainly vulnerable to a winter like the one just past in this area. However, I've seen as many survivors as I've seen those that didn't make it. Siting will play a factor as will soil condition -- it is my unscientific opinion that soil that is very well draining will increase the likelihood that many so-called tender plants will survive a rough winter. I had a very interesting discussion on this subject yesterday with the owner of a local nursery specializing in Mediterranean plants, many of which are marginally hardy for this area. She firmly believes and it's been her experience that very well drained soil can increase cold tolerance by a full hardiness zone for selected plants. Considering what she's got growing in what is essentially a bit of a local cold pocket, I'm inclined to give some weight to this theory.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here