Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandienc_gw

Daphne propagation

sandienc
16 years ago

Hey guys,

Has anyone had any luck propagating the variegated Daphne?

I've tried layering, soft wood and hard wood cuttings and have had no luck. It's very frustrating!

Thanks Sandie

Comments (4)

• tee530
    16 years ago

If you're referring to D. x burkwoodii 'Carol Mackie', the most common variegated garden daphne, I have had luck with semi-hard tip cuttings taken in the early fall (Sept). I take about a 4" tip cutting, remove the lower leaves, and stick in a 1:1 mix of peat moss:perlite. I keep it indoors, moist with good humidity (tray cover or 2 liter bottle cloche if you're only doing a few). Cuttings that rot, rot quickly. If the cutting is still green and firm in a couple of weeks, it's probably taken root, but mine have never put on top growth until the spring. Pot up or plant out carefully in the late spring. Roots tend to be few but rather long and fragile.

Things like rooting hormone, heel cuttings, and the like may be helpful if you're having no success; I haven't found them necessary.

Most other daphnes can be propagated from cuttings similarly, with varying likelihoods of success.

Good luck.

• sandienc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Tee, I really appreciate the information.
    Sandie

• alcam
    16 years ago

I have used Tee530's mix in the past and have had success with Daphne varieties in the tangutica group, burkwoodi group and odora group. No success with the likes of genkwa, cneorum, arbuscula, or colina.

The 50/50 mix of peat/perlite is the same mix I use for rhodos though I am beginning to increase the porosity by adding more perlite.

I received, this year, advice on the protocol used by the head propagator at the University of British Columbia's Botanical Garden. For Daphne he uses 10 parts perlite, 8 parts peat, 6 parts #2 grit. and 1 part course pumice and some lime added as Daphne's prefer a sweeter soil.

A week ago I put in 120 cuttings of 12 different variety of Daphne. So far so good.

alcam

• schmoo
    16 years ago

The pH(the rec. to add lime) is not just a rooting issue, it comes into play with diseases. The most? devastating disease in Daphne propagation is "Black Rot Rot" (Thielaviopsis basicola). It likes higher pH and can be reduced? by keeping your pH acidic. It is a fine line to walk and can be greatly influenced by your water quality and media components.
    One of the most informative papers I have ever seen on this disease and propagation/growing was from a person at the UBC(University British Columbia) Botanical Garden.
    The rule of thumb is Daphne like a high pH in nature.....but that may not always translate into the "best" growing enviroment in a nursery situation.