Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janav_gw

Out of Control Lilac

janav
10 years ago

New member here, so sorry if I posted this in the wrong location.

My wife and I recently bought our home and inherited a completely out of control lilac tree. I say tree and not bush because it is about 18' high, and about 4' wide at its base and maybe 22' across from its furthest reaching branches. There are about half a dozen 4"-5" trunks at the base.

Because it was planted so close to the corner of the house and deck and to some wires, I had to get a bit drastic with the pruning, even though I know it's not the ideal time of the season for it. Last night I cut back two of the main trunks, just above ground level. I also pruned all the small shoots coming off the roots as well as those growing in the middle of the tree. Lastly, I took out some dead branches and a few that were crossing each other and rubbing.

I would like to maintain the tree look, shape, and spread of it because it provides nice shade for a woodland/shade garden I'd like to start in the area. But it is entirely too high still. How can I get it back down to a better height? My gut tells me to let it recover from the pruning I just did and then trim it back some more after it blooms next spring. Then maybe tackle some more the year after that until it is a nice shape. When I do trim it down, should I just select a few branches and prune them to the correct height, and leave the rest for the following season? Or should I cut all of the top branches back a little bit and then some more the next season?

Comments (4)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

hey.... welcome ...

only a fool.. gives or takes pruning advice w/o a picture ...

first.. i can not even contemplate a lilac as that big ... even on a standard ... no way with a 4 foot trunk ... and i dont understand 18 feet tall with a 4 foot wide trunk ... in other words.. your words are confusing me ....

here or in the NAME THAT PLANT FORUM ... with pix of leaves.. bark.. and hopefully flowers.. we can confirm or deny the ID ...

then we can start talking about pruning ...

even better.. is to wait until its leafless.. so we can see the whole structure of the plant as we make decisions on pruning ...

anyway.. how about some pix.. as i ponder this.. perhaps you are describing a multi-trunked shrub form.. but you keep saying its in tree form.. oh .. its all so confusing... lol

ken

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

Ken, ken, ken.....:-) Read the post again! The height of the overall shrub was 18 feet and about 4 feet across at the base but with multiple 4-5 inch trunks/stems comprising that base. In short, a very common presentation for a well-established, mature lilac.

Pruning a lilac - any lilac - is not rocket science and almost foolproof as far as causing the shrub major distress (except for disturbing the bloom cycle). Like spiraea, you can chop this shrub virtually to the ground and have it pop back to life rapidly........although it may never win any prizes for appearance.

janav, reducing height to some extent next spring after flowering is definitely a preferred practice. But be aware that pruning stimulates growth and the shortened mass will only be a temporary fix. The lilac will want to regrow to its former size. Replacing with something that stays smaller may be a consideration.

• janav
    Original Author
    10 years ago

gardengal, thanks. I think I'll just live with regular pruning it back to size. I like the general form that it has taken, and I would hate to remove the whole thing. I just need it to be a bit shorter and less of a threat to surrounding structures. Good to know that they can take pruning well and still bounce back. Compromising the next bloom cycle doesn't bother me too much given that, if I don't prune it, the flowers are all going to be so far up in the air anyway that no one will be able to see them!

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    10 years ago

The problem with pruning a common lilac like you want to is that they tend to produce new growth from the base. So it is going to be an ongoing battle to keep it down to a small number of trunks. The usual pruning would be to start cutting down the largest ones, and allow them to be replaced by new growth from the base.