Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

Slew of newer Weigela cultivars

whaas_5a
12 years ago

Anyone growing these "newer" cultivars? Curious what some you think. They always looks good online with the marketing and all.

Spilled Wine

My Monet (I only had this one for a 1/2 year)

My Monet Sunset

Ghost

Shining Sensation

Rainbow Sensation

Comments (12)

• docmoo
    12 years ago

whaas,
    Tried My Monet last year in a large container in a partial shaded area and it lasted barely 3 months. It's so darling and I'm a sucker for Weigela that I've tried again this year. No container, but partial shade and it's leave edges are crispy, but man, this is the hottest July we've had since 1954!!! Have set an old table next to it in hopes of added shade. Fingers are crossed.
    m

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

You might could find additional info with their actual names (some sources might not use the trade names):

Spilled Wine --> Weigela florida 'Bokraspiwi'
    My Monet --> Weigela florida 'Verweig'
    My Monet Sunset --> Weigela florida 'Sunset'
    Ghost --> Weigela florida 'Carlton'
    Shining Sensation --> Weigela florida 'Bokrashine'
    Rainbow Sensation --> Weigela florida 'Kolmagira'

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Term "trade name" would probably most apply to the left column, which would be made up of trademarks and registered trademarks. The names on the right are the cultivars.

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Shining Sensation seemed to have more of a purple color than the typical Fine Wine, Wine and Roses, etc. one viewed in a massing all together.

Ghost and My Monet Sunset where sold out early in spring so I couldn't get an idea of how they look at the season progressed.

I understand its going to be tougher to get folks experiences with these plants until more time passes.

• miclino
    11 years ago

Just saw Weigela Rainbow sensation in nursery and it looks great. Anyone actually have it?

• hydrangeasnohio
    11 years ago

I planted a My Monet about 4 years ago in partial sun with moist rich soil. Last year it hit its mature size and has stopped growing and is very healthy. I also tried one in full sun with sandy more dry soil. It would never bloom or add any new growth. Along with in Summer get some burnt foliage and just looked terrible. So I finally moved it last year to a shady location and it kicked the bucket. Although I am thrilled to have the one doing so well and looks great! It always puts out a 2nd flush of flowers later in the year & the foliage is one of a kind.

{{gwi:257775}}

• green_go (Canada, Ontario, z 5a)
    11 years ago

Iam growing most of the new cultivars you listed.
    I have 2 Shining Sensation growing on both sides of Rainbow Sensation which I bought and planted last spring 2011. Even though SS supposed to be a more vigorous grower (5-6 ft tall) compared to RS (3ft tall), for me, RS grew much taller in just one season (almost twice as big as SS). Also, RS did not develop white margins as shown on the advertised pictures, they are lime green. So, either they sold me not RS, but something different, or this is due to the fact that mine are growing on the north side of the deck and only receive morning sun.
    Here are August pics of Shining Sensation and Rainbow Sensation (RS was heavily trimmed in July to match the size of SS, while SS was not trimmed at all in the summer)

2 Shining Sensation and 1 Rainbow Sensation:
    {{gwi:244973}}

Rainbow Sensation:
    {{gwi:272488}}

{{gwi:272489}}

Shining Sensation:
    {{gwi:244972}}

Shining Sensation:
    {{gwi:272490}}

11 years ago

As to "Ghost" weigela, I bought 3 plants last August 2011 from Walmart on final sale. They took off nicely, but were severely damaged during our relatively mild winter: one plant died almost to the ground, other two had severely damaged branches. Not sure whether this was due to their genetic lack of hardiness in our zone 5a, or simply I planted them too late in the season and they were not prepared for winter. Anyways, all 3 recovered nicely (even though they bloomed very sparsely). They are growing in full sun and they develop their "ghostly" color on older leaves (though not as "ghostly" as seen on some pics you can find on the web):
    {{gwi:272492}}

{{gwi:272494}}

{{gwi:272496}}

11 years ago

And finally, 3 "My Monet" weigelas were planted just 2 months ago. They were puny, scraggly looking plants that seem could not decide whether they should live or die. Now they look stunning and I regret I did not buy more of these beauties when they were on sale. They grow in full sun and leaves do not scorch at all.
    Here are My Monet weigelas in August:

{{gwi:272498}}

{{gwi:272500}}

• splitrock
    11 years ago

Wow, green go. I'd like to try those My Monet. Although I'm an experienced gardener, I've never ever grown a weigela. Are they in really good soil? Do they need lots of fertilizing? The reason I ask is that fertilizer, even the organic kind that I use, greatly amps up the deer browse problems we deal with. Are your weigela exposed to deer?

• eahamel
    11 years ago

Those are nice! I looked them up and darn it, they won't work in my zone 9 temps!

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My Monet is such a shot in the dark. Sometimes they look great and sometimes they look terrible. A grower around here stopped selling them because of the latter.

They did poorly for me at my last home but the one I have now it doing well.

Shining Sensation is BY FAR the best purple leaf Weigela. All others are inferior to this cultivar IMO. The one I planted last fall needed a bit of pruning this spring to recover but looks exactly like yours. A very nice rich color and they literally shine because of the glossy leaves.

I didn't like the Rainbow and Ghost Weigelas I've "seen" at the nursery.

My Monet Sunset is probably my favorite. Great color and is supposed to have a rich red fall color. I'll post pics soon.

Thanks to all for the comments and pictures. As always they are worth a 1K words.