Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with my Crepe Myrtle.

Posted by Jsc12 none (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 12:37

I'm in zone 6, planted 2 Natchez Crepe Myrtles recently, water them everyday and the one isn't doing so well. The leaves are turning yellow and red and leaves are drooping. It gets plenty of sunlight, and Miracle-Gro 1x a week. Don't know why it's not doing as well as the other Crepe. If anyone can let me know what I could do to give it a boost and keep it healthy I would appreciate it thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with my Crepe Myrtle.

Jsc,
Only water once a week and stop fertilizing them.
You are killing them.
Leave them alone.
If it rains, do not water.
Leave them be.

o

Yes, stop with the fertilizer.

Check the moisture of the original rootball of the failing tree. It's either soaked or dry. Stick your finger in it to determine which. If dry, drizzle water directly onto the rootball.

o
RE: Help with my crApe myrtle.

CrApe myrtles are drought-tolerant plants. The only way they'd need to be watered every day is if they were newly planted in pure sand. Longer (deeper), less frequent watering is much better than shorter (quick), frequent watering. Use your finger and poke it down two to three inches into the soil to gauge soil moisture. If you planted an intact rootball, check inside the rootball as well as in the surrounding soil (different soil textures can result in different drainage characteristics). The soil's surface should be allowed to begin drying in between waterings.

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting a Tree or Shrub - see section 12

o

Thanks so much! I'll do that.

o

and never forget.. they are not children.. they do not need to be fed ..... they may never.. ever.. need to be fert'd again ...

especially if they are planted in a lawn that is fertilized ...

if you think something is missing from the soil .. have a soil test done.. and act accordingly ...

ken

o

We have clay soil, so I don't know if that's affecting the crepe either. I'm not sure how adaptable they are in different soils.

o
RE: Help with my crape myrtle.

Crape myrtles do fine in clay soil. Clay is the norm around here and crape myrtles are everywhere.

o

Drought-tolerant trees tolerate drought *only* after they establish a sturdy root system in their planting site.
In general, that can require1 or 2 years of regular irrigation as the gardener works toward a "normal" irrigation schedule for that particular kind of plant

In the several months following planting, the roots of drought-tolerant trees are gradually extending outward from the root ball.

So early on, the key is to water the rootball more often than the surrounding soil. (Butt that assumes the planting hole was filled with water and allowed to drain - twice -- before the tree was set in place.)

o
RE: Help with my CrApe Myrtle.

Crape myrtles are fast growers. Only a very very large one with a relatively small rootball at transplant would need two years of supplemental watering. Even a newly planted one shouldn't need daily watering, and would be likely to suffer because of it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here