Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Viburnum Prunifolium - Blackhaw

Posted by whaas 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 15, 09 at 12:50

Unrelated to my other viburnum questions, has anyone seen major problems with powdery mildew with this plant?

I've read that it is suseptible to powdery mildew, mainly late in the season.

I have (2) Forest Rouge Blackhaws on order and want to make sure I'm not getting an inferior plant.

I put in a whole hedge/privacy fence of Diablo Ninebarks and they all got powdery mildew. I believe they already had it at the nursery though, as I bought them before they leafed out. Now I can't get rid of it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Viburnum Prunifolium - Blackhaw

Blackhaw viburnum can be afflicted by powdery mildew, but it varies with the individual selection and with the season. It is not reason enough (in my book, and my Valley where I grow many hundreds of viburnums across 108 taxa of the genus) to not have blackhaw in one's garden.

The key is: observe the species (and clones, if possible) in your locality or nearby to see how the plant behaves, if it is a deal-breaker for you. Commentary here and elsewhere is good info, but won't replicate your experience.

Forest Rouge is reputed to be a fine plant, selected by a fine grower. You'll want another clone or seedling of blackhaw to be a cross-pollinator for that one.

o

Definitely a good point...honestly, beside the Dentatums, I really don't see vibrunums in my area. Underutilized here in the Milwaukee area.

o

Break the mold!

The great growers of your region (McKay, Johnson's, the Klehm realm, and I'm sure there are others) aren't growing the range that they do just for kicks. The viburnum clan is vast and widely rewarding.

When you run out of room, enlist your neighbors to diversify (and locate your cross-pollinators there). Don't laugh - it's been done more than once, and to incredible success.

o

whaas, have you looked at a copy of Michael Dirr's "Viburnum" book? A great one to have - tons of great photos.

o

Thats the problem, those growers don't have much. With the exception of dentatums and trilobum. Trust me, I've been to the nusery. Khelm doesn't have much either, alot of carlesi cultivars.

I'm not familar with the Viburnum book...may have to check it out.

o

Fairweather Gardens, a very fine nursery, has a very large range of viburnums.

o

76 Va-va-viburnums - found @ Forest Farm, another good supplier

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here