Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grandma_gardener_02

Why are my new japanese junifper getting brown needles?

Lauril Rohde
11 years ago

We just bought some japanese junipers 'Nana' [about 4-5 weeks ago] and put them on a slope in our front yard. We have watered them well, but not too much. And now some of them are putting out branches with brown needles. What is wrong and what can I do?

Comments (10)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Have you had some very hot temperatures since you planted your juniper? Watering on a slope can be tricky. It is very common for the water (including rain) to run off the surface before it can infiltrate into the soil system. That might be something for you to consider, too.

• Lauril Rohde
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, it has been really hot and humid. If it is a watering problem, we can solve that. Didn't want to think it was something else. Interesting that the one that is especially bad is at the top of the slope - would fit into your thoughts. Thanks for your input.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

if it were me.. in z5 MI ...

i would have held them in the pot.. until mid to late sept..

i hope you left little moats.. to INSURE the entire root mass is dampened.. every time you water deeply ...

and.. if the hill is inclined toward the sun.. you may be sun burning them ...

can you be a bit more specific with the full proper name???? .. are they a yellow form.. color wise????

did you do any root surgery.. were they root bound???

ken

11 years ago

BTW.. they are conifers.. which are trees.. they are not shrubs ...

but i care not where you post ..

ken

• Lauril Rohde
    Original Author
    11 years ago

juniperus procumbens - green mound ~8" tall spreading from 4'-6', blue green evergreen foliage. I will try to take a picture tomorrow.

• akamainegrower
    11 years ago

It would also be a good idea to check the affected branches with a magnifying glass for evidence of mites or other pests. Mites can be a problem in hot, sunny locations and would tend to infest the newest growth first. Even if the mites themselves are not readily apparent, you should be able to see their webs if they are present. A pesticide registered for mites will work as will frequent forceful sprayings with plain water.

11 years ago

i am loathe.. to spray chems on an already stressed plant ... but you have to do what you have to do.. IF YOU ACTUALLY FIND A PEST ...

but i would not expect a bug infestation a few weeks after getting stock which should have been pest free at point of sale ...

but you never know .. so check it out ... but just dont spray willy nilly ... unless you actually ID a pest ..

ken

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

It's pathogenic and in my area anyway typical of this particular juniper, can even start right in the sales yard.

Here plant wants a sunny well-drained area, like a hot fully exposed bank. Avoiding wetting the top or watering late in the day might help. You should cut the already brown branches out.

Google "juniper blight".

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Ken, ENOUGH already with that dumb concept that conifers cannot be shrubs (or is it that shrubs cannot be conifers). Just breathe in deeply....remember, everything Daddy told you isn't necessarily right.

A shrub is simply a physical FORM...it's a term, not a botanical division. Juniperus procumbens is most certainly a shrub AND a conifer. I usually categorized this particular juniper as a groundcover in my plant ID and design classes.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

Yes, high humidity and the potential of any overhead watering is extremely conducive to Phomopsis twig blight, which this variety of juniper is extremely prone to. Not used very frequently around here for that reason :-)

And it's pretty hard to consider anything that only grows at most 8-10" tall and spreads prostrate along the the ground for 5-6 feet a "tree". LOL!!