Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bushes for alcove

Posted by karen_tennessee (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 15, 10 at 13:40

I have an alcove next to the entrance to my home. I had tall nandinia planted against the wall that faces the front door. I unfortunatly didn't trim them correctly and they only had top growth which looked like a mess as they leaned in. I liked the berries and might consider planting them again, with proper care. However, can you think of something else that could go there. Something that can be trimmed twice a year, however I would like them also to be fast growing. The two don't mix, I know. Any suggestions?
Karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bushes for alcove

you need to learn REJUVENATION PRUNING... rather than shearing at height... try googling that term ....

and then figure out if it should be applied to your plant .... see link

you may get off cheap.. if you simply prune it the way it is supposed to be pruned.. rather than replacing it ...

also.. any further info about your alcove might help.. like size.. how much sun... soil .... direction it faces ... and a picture.. might sure help us recommend something that will fit..

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

The wall is about 12' long and receives aproximately 4 hours of direct sun starting around noon. The soil has not been ammended at all. They were bushes that were planted about 20 years ago. I have already dug them up. Trust me they couldn't be saved. Some one talked me into trimming them up from the bottom. Big mistake! I hope I have answered all your questions.
Thanks for your time.

Karen

o

a straight wall is not an alcove ..... so i am still having trouble understanding the site

and we know its length.. how wide is it ....

and how tall do you want???/

ken

o

Sorry I can't send you a picture. I'll try to explain it the best I can. There is one 12' wall, a wall that contains a window and one wall that has an opening at the side of the front door. The porch is raised up so you are looking down and straight at the 12' wall. I need bushes along the 12' wall. That's all that it really needs. There's a crape myrtle planted in the center in front of the alcove-inset. As far as height I think this time I need to keep them cut down to about 6' or even shorter. The area is 8' wide. I hope this helps. What about a holly with a verigated leaf that is berry producing?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here