Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kerry1111_gw

Cant buy barberry... looking for alternative

kerry1111
12 years ago

I live in ma where barberry is invasive but i want a shrub with a deep red or purple that can go in partial sun to part shade..any suggestions?

Comments (7)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

link to pix of many options

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• kerry1111
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks ken i feel like ive google searched forever and i appreciate your link as well..seems everything i truly like is some kind of barberry or isnt hardy in my zone . I did however come across royal purple smoke shrub i think thats what its called, in your link,kinda cool.

• gardener365
    12 years ago

Fagus sylvatica 'Torulosa Purpurea' would be a better choice because it doesn't grow all that quick.

Dax

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    12 years ago

Some purple foliaged shrubs to check out in addition to the others suggested (which may or may not fit your tastes and needs or shade requirements - I'll let you research that):

- Physocarpus/ninebark Summer Wine - I have Coppertina which is more of a orange, but I like the form, the flowers and the color.
    - purple leafed sand cherry
    - several of the Weigelas, such as Wine and Roses, Spilled Wine or Midnight wine.
    -contorted red hazel, Corylus avellana 'Red Majestic'
    - heather/Calluna vulgaris 'Hoyerhagen' and 'Multicolor' have an orangey-red foliage in summer and more a true red in winter. They may not be the right shade for you, but most of MA is well-suited to grow heather.
    -there are several small trees like some of the Japanese maples, crabapples and plums with purple leaves that don't get much bigger than good-sized shrubs
    some plants have deep red red or purple foliage in certain seasons:
    - PJM rhododendron is mahogany red in winter and dark green with reddish overtones in summer
    - Several heather/Calluna have reddish growing tips or are reddish foliaged in winter
    - Blueberries, many viburnums, and Enkianthus are red to dark red in the fall.

Other thoughts would be to have some of the larger perennials with dark red foliage such as Cimicifuga Brunette (very happy in shade), Clematis recta purpurea or one of its darker selections. If backed with one of the shrubs that is purple in winter, you would have your dark purple presence year round.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    12 years ago

A lot of the purple foliage plants need full sun to get the best color. THat's true for the barberry too. I have one in part-shade and it is far from red/purple.

Just how much sun/shade is there? what time of day?

I think the Cimicifuga perennial and Jap Maple might be your best bets. My weigelas look mostly brown unless they are in a perfect place. They have been moved and moved and moved... still looking for the perfect place - LOL

My best Cimicifuga is Hillside Black Beauty and my best Jap Maple is Tamukeyama. "Best" means holds the color well throughout the season without greening out or browning out.

I also use dark Coral Bells in the front of shrub areas to bring that dark accent in part-shade.

• gardener365
    12 years ago

There's 'Midnight Wine' Weigela, also.

Dax

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    12 years ago

My purple leaved sand cherries are in several different light conditions, and that are always deep purple/wine colored. They are easy to find, too. Easy to shape.

I have barberries too and I wish I'd never bought them. The little dead twigs with barbs are all over the garden, and I'm always pricking myself when I clean up.