Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karkalec

need a shrub suggestion

karkalec
12 years ago

I live in Charlotte, NC and have a spot in one of my beds which gets probably 6-8 hours of sun from mid morning on. I need something to fill that spot! I have tried and failed with 2 rhododendrons there because they are not drought tolerant enough. Already have boxwood and azalea which do great. Any ideas on something which would get maybe 3-4 feet high?

Thanks,

Justin

Comments (2)

• Iris GW
    12 years ago

Sounds like it is getting plenty of afternoon sun so you need a sun-tolerant shrub. Rhododendron would not like getting established in such a place, I agree. A dwarf Fothergilla (Fothergilla gardenii 'Mt. Airy') would be appropriate.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures

• blue23rose
    12 years ago

How about Pocomoke crapemyrtle? It is a nice midsummer bloomer, needs sun, and mine is about 4 ft x 4 ft. I've had it now for about 6 years, and even though the article below says zone 7-10, it has not died (knock on wood!) It is not fragrant, but it creates a nice rounded look like in the pictures on the link.

I just read where crapemyrtles are invasive in the south so you may want to check that out, but I've not had that problem here.

Picture:
    http://www.onlineplantguide.com/PlantDetails.aspx?Plant_id=1418

Vickie

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert