Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shortlid

Ripped out old over grown shurbs and replacing

shortlid
15 years ago

We bought a house built in 1991 out of forclosure. Obviously the lawn had not been maintained for many years and the srubs were way too close to the house and HUGE!! Could not even see out of first story windows parts the Rhododendrons and Alberta Spruce!! Cut down teh Spruce first casue they were up against the house. Well Mother in law came over saw the 6 foot tall Holy, and Mary "Macey(sp)?" She said they would always be woody and too large for the lanscape. She said to ripp all out except for the lilac tree. Now we have a large 10 foot by 15 foot area out front with nothing. We want top put a rose bush in, but what other NATIVE shubs would stay small and work in Northern New England??

Comments (11)

• shortlid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I guess she called it a Carol Mackie bush!

• shortlid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I guess she called it a Carol Mackie bush!

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    15 years ago

Is it full sun, partial shade, etc? What direction does your house face? What is the maximum height you would want? Evergreen or deciduous or a mix?

• shortlid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the input, the spot has sun in the morning shade in the evening. House faces East, towards a old growth white pine forest. We want a mix of evergreen and deciduous plants. Max 5 feet so they don't grow in front of the first floor windows.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    15 years ago

Ken Janek "Yak" rhododendruns would work nicely. Mine are 6-7 years old and just barely approaching 3'T. Are about 4'Wide.

Hollies are great (Blue Princess good for your climate) but need a bit of pruning here and there to keep them shaped well and a good size.

A threadleaf Japanese maple would add some great color and form. It is weeping form so doesn't get too tall. Tamukeyama is a nice one that will get wide in time. Holds its red color well. some JP's green out as the season progresses. Very hardy. some are not.

Pieris are good for that setting too. I just got a new variegated one that is very attractive. Silver Flame I think was its name.

• shortlid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Great info, we have a Jap. Maple on the other end of the front of the house I think two would be much. But the Holly, Yak Rhodo's are great tips. What kind of plant is a Pieris?

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    15 years ago

Can one ever have too many Jap maples!!?? :o)

If you want to stick with natives, some other choices might be summersweet clethra, kalmia (mine stays 3.5 X 3.5 in the sun), hypericum, physocarpus, ilex glabra, calycanthus, itea, potentilla.
    If you choose clethra, itea or physocarpus, you would need to make sure to purchase one of the more compact varieties.

• shortlid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks you for the info on the natives. Where can I look at these native species online?

• WendyB 5A/MA
    15 years ago

Pieris's common name is Japanese Andromeda. They can be problematic in a lot of sun, but are very useful and easy to grow in shade (morning sun fine). I also have some dwarf ones.. 'Little Heath' is barely 2'x2' after 3-4 years. It is variegated. Doesn't bloom well, but I grow it for the foliage. 'Cavatine' is even smaller and solid green. It does bloom well. Prelude is another dwarf. And a good full size (4-5') traditional one is 'Mountain Fire'... new growth is bright red.

Clethra 'Hummingbird' is supposed to be "compact", but it does spread quite a bit. Probably too much for a foundation. Mine is in bloom now and the fragrance is just wonderful! There is another Clethra that is *really* supposed to be a dwarf...'Sixteen Candles'. I just added it to a perennial border this year, so can't tell for sure.

SOme of these smaller plants might work well as a front layer to larger plants. Its preferable to not have a single row of plants straight across. I like to layer smaller shrubs in front of the back row and include some perennials too.

I've tried hypericon twice here and both didn't make it. its borderline northern MA/southern NH

• shortlid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What do you think about Junipers? There are some that don't get more than 3-4 feet tall.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    15 years ago

Wendy brings up a good point about the clethra. If you really want to stick with natives, there are some that can wander a bit and not look as "neat" as you may like. You can google most of the shrubs that have been suggested and get some general info as to size, color, habit, etc. I agree with Wendy that a variety in a layered fashion, including perennials looks very nice. I don't happen to have a lot of juniper, but I'm sure there are some nice varieties out there that could work for you.

Wendy, I'm sorry to hear hypericum did not make it for you. I had one for years until one spring when I was cleaning up, I accidentally pruned it down to the ground. I'm pretty sure the books say that's ok to do, but even so, I felt it was a mistake. It never came back after that. I have since planted another one that has been doing fine. I just make sure to never cut it down. I'm outside of Manchester, NH.