Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best Yew for hedges

Posted by salarn (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 29, 06 at 14:05

Which yew is better for hedges, dense or hick yew? Also how much spacing is required when planting and what type of fertilizer should i use? Also how much do they grow in one year? Thank-you very much. Sal

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best Yew for hedges

It depends on how high you want your hedge to be. Dense yews are shorter than Hicks yews, at least in my experience. We have some dense yews that I've been trying to get more height from since we moved here in 1998. I trim them "rough", and as little as possible, but they're not much taller now than 8 years ago.

We put in about a dozen Hicks yews in 1999 as part of a 100-ft long woody privacy berm. They were 3-ft. high. We spaced them on 4.5-ft. centers, and they've grown nicely into hedge formation. I trim them once a year and I'd say they're about 5-ft tall now. They might have been taller if I hadn't trimmed them each year, but I wanted them to develop a compact habit.

As for fertilizers, I don't think I feed them more than once every 2-3 years. I've used fertilizer spikes for evergreens. I've also used Holly Tone. The soil is very nice, though, and they probably don't need to be fed at all.

They tend to suffer bad winter burn, even with a southern exposure, so sometimes I give the most vulnerable ones some burlap protection for winter. Hope this helps,

Tina McG

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here