Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Has anyone grown the new dwarf Butterfly Bushes?

I would really love to hear your experiences if you have. I am particularly interested to know if they are fragrant like the large ones, how tall they get and what size the blossoms are. Thanks.. :-)

Comments (19)

• iloveplants-michele
    14 years ago

I have a beautiful white dwarf butterfly bush. It has a beautiful round habit, not nearly as long and leggy as the larger varieties. It is one of my favorite plants in my garden because the blooms just keep coming. Mine is not fragrant and the blossoms are about 4 to 5 inches long. I highly recommend it!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks iloveplants, you are right, it is great to have less leggy and full of blooms. Unfortunately for me, fragrance is something I'm not willing to give up. I have two of the larger size and both are nice and fragrant. I'm glad you like yours so much. Maybe I can find a dwarf that is fragrant. My garden is pretty small and I try to select shrubs that have more than one attribute because they have to do double duty.

As for size of the bloom. I was thinking along the lines of how 'fat' the bloom is. Mine are nice and long but skinny and I was looking for a plumb, fat blossom.

• nckvilledudes
    14 years ago

I purchased an Adonis Blue butterfly bush this past winter on eBay. It is part of the butterfly bush series that was developed in England. Even with it just being planted this fall and only having had perhaps 2 inches of natural rain since mid-June, it has been in flower all summer long and has not gotten taller than 2 to 2.5 feet tall. I can't comment on its eventual height but the information I received said that it is not supposed to get more than 4 to 5 feet tall and 3 to 4 feet wide. I haven't really paid much attention to any fragrance that it might have but then again, I have never grown any butterfly bush for its fragrance in the past and may just be my lack of attention as to whether it has one or not.

• ditas
    14 years ago

Hi Buddleia lovers - I've scrolled up & down hoping to find a thread such as this, to ask my ???

Have any of you heard/grown LO & BEHOLD BLUE CLIPS? I'm quite interested & wish to hear how he did if you have him ... I googled for a low growing, blue & preferably butterfly magnet like my 2 reg. sized ones ... Proven Winner's choice this year!!! Didn't mention about fragrance but it's self-cleaning (no dead-heading) ... 2-3' in size and a blooming machine!!! What else can I ask for huh?

I'm thinking of replacing a supposedly, dwarf *Little Spire* Russian Sage ... was only dwarf for a couple of years & is now as tall as my regular sized one. I hate to have to replace Lil Spire ... love his fragrance & blue-lavender spires ... but has outgrown the spot alloted as an underplant around my large Tardiva shrub.

Like prairiemoon2, would appreciate to hear of your experiences &/or thoughts! Â;)

• nckvilledudes
    14 years ago

I finally got around to checking on whether the Adonis Blue Dwarf butterfly bush flowers have a fragrance and they do.

• nckvilledudes
    14 years ago

Prairiemoon, the same seller that I purchased mine from on eBay currently has a listing for one for sale. The seller's name is djroger. I can attest to the quality of the plant I got from him if you are leary of ordering via eBay. I am in no way affiliated with him or his plants so I am not pushing him specifically. Just thought you might appreciate a heads up on where to find one of the plants if you are interested.

Also while scanning the Garden Web forums this morning, there is a poster who showed her Adonis plant with some other flowers interplanted in front of it. Here is a link to the thread and picture if you want to see the plant in real life. Just scroll down in the thread and you will find it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Adonis Butterfly Bush

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, nckvilledudes...very helpful to see that photo!

• User
    14 years ago

"Blue Chips" grow to 36 inches tall.
    They are fragrant.
    I won't be buying them though, they are 40.00 a piece.
    Too much for a tiny butterfly bush.
    (they are real cute though)

• ditas
    14 years ago

Thank you butterfly4u, for the additional info! If *Blue Clips* is compact & self-cleaning, I'll wait a while ($$ down a bit) & still & get one! However I'm really looking for an even smaller blue, blooming-machine with some fragrance ... is there such a one!!!?

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

Garden Crossings (excellent Garden Watchdog rating, BTW) has them for less than half that, even for single quantities. Also, it's 'Blue Chip', not 'Blue Chips'.

• spazzycat_1
    14 years ago

I've seen 'Blue Chip' and 'Miss Ruby' at Lowes for around $20.00. I purchased my plants at an arboretum sale for around the same price.

The blooms are definitely smaller in proportion to the smaller size of the plant. If fragrant, I've not noticed it, but I can't say that I've jammed my nose into a blossom to check either.

• phylrae
    14 years ago

I was perusing this forum and noticed this post.
    I don't have any other buddleias, but DID spend the $35 for Lo & Behold Blue Chip at a local nursery, because I really wanted one nice, small buddleia. It was in full bloom and I buried my nose in its blossoms, and it smelled very nice. I really like it!
    :0) Phyl

• teri2
    13 years ago

I planted Lo and Behold this spring, wanting butterflies but not having room in my condo garden for a regular sized bush. Don't remember what I paid but it is unlikely to have been more than $20. The tag said it would be 2'X2' and now, in its first July, it's about 18" tall and 24" wide. Lots of blooms but not self cleaning for me, although I might be just a little quick off the mark to deadhead. I haven't noticed any fragrance at all but the most significant thing is that it doesn't attract butterflies. They go to everything around it but have no interest in the butterfly bush. Very disappointing.

• gardening101a
    11 years ago

old thread.....but i got a blue chip a week ago, haven't even planted it yet. right off the bat it attracted butterflies and bummble bees. this evening i found 4 of the bees almost dead on the blooms, don't know if it is the temperature or what (probably 70 deg when i saw them)?

• eahamel
    11 years ago

Gardening 101, it could have been sprayed with insecticide before you got it. Temp isn't high enough to kill bees, which I see on my plants when it's 100 or so. One nursery here doesn't put bee and butterfly attracting plants out for a couple of weeks after they get them, just in case they've been sprayed. Most nurseries don't think like that.

• gardening101a
    11 years ago

thanks, i thought the same thing after posting......what if the nursery had sprayed? we had a good rain a few days ago and i sprayed it down with the garden hoset this afternoon.

• equineladie
    10 years ago

does anyone have dwarf butterfly bush seeds ?

• Julianne Whisnant
    3 years ago

I planted a blue/purple flower dwarf two years ago and have even very disappointed in bloom size and frequency. Just dug it out of garden and gave if away. I had seen some poor reviews mixed with positive and wish I had not bought it.