Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
samnsarah

Ninebark 'Summer Wine' for Harsh Climate

Tim
11 years ago

I have posted about this side of my house before, and I am still researching it. I am in

South Central Kansas (zone 6b). The south side of my house gets full, hot sun from sunrise until approx. 6:30 P.M. during the summer, and the sun reflects off of the light colored concrete fiber siding. Anything I plant in this area will not only get that full sun and reflected heat, but it will also be subjected to wind from the south and west and to drought.

Does anyone, who has experience with Ninebark 'Summer Wine', know if this shrub would perform well in this particular climate? I tried a Weigela �Wine & Roses� there, but it just turned very green and scorched like the Garden Web member, bboy said it would. Would the Ninebark 'Summer Wine' do the same thing? I have a Ninebark 'Summer Wine' located in morning sun and afternoon shade. It was fairly dark, but a little bit on the green side when the temps were 100+ degrees this summer. Now that the temps are down to the low 90�s it has gotten a little darker. Perhaps that�s a clue as to how well it would not perform in the harsher climate. Well, any advice or tips you could give me would be appreciated.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm