Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tishfromwis

Corylus avellana 'Contorta' ...

tishfromwis
15 years ago

I want one of these so bad and now that I am actually looking to buy one, I need to know where to plant it. Websites say full sun to partial shade, but that isn't always the case. Can it really tolerate an evening full of western sun? Can it tolerate sun from sun up to sun down? Does it thrive better in eastern sun with evening shade? I would like to hear people's personal experience with these and how they are faring...

Comments (11)

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Dense crown liable to be deformed by heavy shading from one side in the mostly dull climate here. If there are enough torrid periods in summer there a little shading might be helpful. The new purple-leaved hybrid does seems apt to fade out and look tired in hot sun even here, although most (all?) of this tendency would be coming from the purple-leaved parent.

Since this is a garden curiosity best placed where its main feature - winter interest - is comfortably viewed perhaps that should be the dominant basis for choosing the right spot for it.

• tishfromwis
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks bboy! If it will do fine in hot Westernly sun, then it will go where I want it to (when I get it). I'm still feeling a bit uneasy about it because, believe it or not, we do have a couple of months of nasty hot and humid weather up here in July & August (and I thought moving 1000 miles north would get me away from that).

• brian_zn_5_ks
    15 years ago

I would not recommend a hot westerly exposure for this plant in the Midwest. Here in eastern Kansas, these guys scorch in such a location.

brian

• tishfromwis
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Brian. I was hoping someone near me that has first-hand experience would respond. I have a second spot in mind, but may even reconsider that option. What would be better then? Eastern morning sun and evening shade or at least dappled evening shade?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago

you are way over thinking a contorted filbert ....

its a nut tree ... it really isnt going to care what you do with it... in zone 5 .. its fully rated down to 4 ....

if you plant it properly .. and water it properly for the first summer after transplant .... it will be just fine... if you need help with either.. start a new post ....

in my pure yellow sand... i have not watered it since that first summer ... 7 years running .. and it just plugs away ... in full sun ...

that means its free range .... you may have a bigger chance of killing it with too much love.. rather than benign neglect ...

plant and treat it like a TREE ...which means.. once it has a sufficient root mass .. hence the watering the first summer .... and in drought the second... it really wont need much of anything from you ever again ... DO NOT AMEND.. AND NEVER FERTILIZE IT ....

THE ONLY PROBLEM i have with it.. is that this time of year.. it is basically sacrificed to the Jp beetles .... from which it recovers every spring .... if you take a zen attitude.. you might be able to convince yourself that the lacy leaves are an added bonus.. lol ...

no winter protection necessary ....

good luck .. you will love it ...

ken

• tishfromwis
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh noooooooooo! Not the Corylus avellana 'Contorta' too!!! If you look up the list of plants/trees the JB's like, I have them all--at least I thought I did. Maybe after I plant the HL I will have successfully completed the list...

They (JBs)arrived here in 2005 and I basically stay indoors for 4-6 weeks. Nasty, nasty little creatures!!!

Hey Ken, if you got the time, I've posted a question in the ornamental grass forum and one in the vines forum. They both seem to be abandoned...

THANKS!!!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago

i dont DO grass ....

but will check the vine one.. though i dont have many of those ...

ken

• cindra
    15 years ago

The only problem I've had with mine is the wind. It gets so strong at times it does break off some of the younger contorted branches. :(

• rolf_jacobs
    15 years ago

I just planted one earlier this year. Full western exposure and it is growing like a weed. I covered it in cheesecloth to protect it against the JBs but next year I will feed it a systemic insecticide. Hate to use this stuff but hate even more what the JBs can do to a tree.

This tree grows well even in CA but needs a bit of shade in the hottest part of the day.

• funnybunny_onwight_net
    12 years ago

Hi,
    I've had my 'Crooked Hazel' 14 years. It lives outside our kitchen door, under the porch in a huge plastic pot, south facing. Every year or so I prune out the suckers and feed any dropped leaves and prunings to my pet rabbits. I occasionally remember to water it. I get catkins and sometimes pairs of nuts. People always ask if there's something wrong with it - but I just love it. It is such a forgiving little tree.

• ademink
    12 years ago

zone 5 indpls here...have had one growing next to the driveway, against a brick fireplace in full sun ALL day. it gets eastern, southern and western. it's a monster and i have had to do absolutely nothing to it but prune for shape and to remove suckers. i dont remember it ever wilting in the sun...?

JBs do like it but i wouldn't call it a problem - they're too busy w/ the neighbor's wild grape vines. bwaahahaha lol