Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovemytrees

Could someone look at this photo & tell me which Forsythia it is?

ilovemytrees
12 years ago

Hello and thank you so much in advance. I've included the link below. I just want to know the exact cultivar of Forsythia that is in this picture. I really appreciate it. Kindest regards, Ann

Here is a link that might be useful: Forsythia picture

Comments (7)

• botann
    12 years ago

Weeping Forsythia is called, Forsythia suspensa.
    I had one for awhile that clambered up into some other shrubs.
    Interesting in Spring, but that's about it. I gave it away.
    Mike

• ilovemytrees
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for responding and answering my question, Mike. Much appreciated!

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

I am not certain that the Forsythia illustrating this article is actually weeping Forsythia. It doesn't seem lax enough. I think it is more likely to be Forsythia x intermedia. If you are looking to buy a Forsythia I'd check out some more illustarations before going for F suspensa.

Here is a link that might be useful: Forsythia x intermedia

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

i just dont understand all this ...

first.. what picture.. the top one ...???

that looks like every un-named forsythia i have ever seen.. planted.. and left to its own devices ... given 20 feet by 20 feet.. and left to its own devices for a decade or two ... that is the natural shape of a generic forsythia ...

and i dont see anything weeping about it ...

in fact ... if you right click on the pic and get the pic info, you get this:

http://www.floridata.com/ref/f/images/fors_sp1.jpg

which in my warped world.. means its a picture of the species forsythia ... not the weeping version.. there are too many pure vertical spikes in that pic ....

and it looks little like the pics at the link which are true weepers ... with no vertical spikes ... [and there are not many pics of the actual weeping version]

me thinks that the pic does not match the title above the pic.. and i dont understand why they list the species with the common name 'weeping forsythia' ???

seriously.. am i missing something here...

or is the website using a generic forsythia picture ????

and what is ilove wanting the ID for ... do you want whats in the pic.. or do you want a weeper???? .. do you have the space to generate a plant like the picture????

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• ilovemytrees
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi everyone and thank you for your responses.

Ken, I don't know the first thing about Forsythia other than it's a beautiful shrub that turns yellow in early Spring here in Western, NY. lol This will be my first shrub that I will have ever planted. To answer your question, yes, I have the room for it, plenty of room. I live out in the country and our side yard butts up against the docking area for the lake and where all the boats are kept. I want an 8-10 feet tall row of Forsythia to screen that completely out. Just the plain old species is I guess what Im looking for. After searching online the only place I can find it is at Arborday, but Ive heard too many negative things about their plants etc. If you know of any place where I can get the plain old Forsythia I would be thankful. It doesn't appear to be in demand from what I can see.

• botann
    12 years ago

Flora UK, I agree, the picture shown is not lax enough to be Suspensa, even though it's labeled as such.
    All Forsythias are easy to root in water.
    Mike

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

I think Ken, Mike and I are all saying the same thing. The picture illustrating the article is not F suspensa. So before choosing your forsythia try to see actual examples or at least correctly named pictures. As Mike says it is a synch to root, just stick a branch in the ground and forget it. So if you know someone with a forsythia you like beg a few pieces.