Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blueberry leaves turning red

Posted by yelena1980 IL (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 11, 06 at 14:39

Help!!! It looks like my blueberry plants are dying. The leaves are turning red and brown.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blueberry leaves turning red

Do you think it could be because it is heading towards fall? Some of my deciduous plants are already showing some signs of fall colors.

o

I live within a few miles of one of the major commercial blueberry growers in the Eastern U.S.A. and few of the leaves in the fields seem to be turning. None of my highbush or lowbush plants have any but green leaves. If you are in zone 7 or warmer, the leaf color might be due to stress. The growers provide well drained, acid soil and water a few feet below the roots,in the sun. I have wild blueberries that seldom fruit in complete shade, with leaves still totally green. Other plants have some leaves dropping and colored but we have had a stretch of dry weather.

o

Do you have strongly acid soil? If not, that could be the reason your blueberries are not happy.

o

I don't have blueberries but my viburnum tribolum have done similar in some years (not this year yet). I always wrote it off to fall colors starting early due to stress or heat. They never seemed sick otherwise, just turned colors.

o

Just a thought, when my serviceberry and chokeberry bushes develop bright red leaves, it's a fungal disease. I don't grow blueberries because our soil is all wrong for them. They're my favorite food, so I wish I could have them here. Sorry, I'm not familiar with diseases that attack them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here