Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anneliese_32

Replacement for Euyonimus

anneliese_32
10 years ago

I have two large Euyonimus bushes on the two front corners of the house. They are about 40 years old and their roots start to undermine the house. They need to be trimmed about 4 times a year and are a pain. Their redeeming factor is that they have leaves in the wintertime and they give shelter to the birds.
I live in zone 6, the house faces north-west, which is also our predominant weather side. Has anybody an idea with what to replace it? It should not be a bush which needs a military haircut. The house and front entrance need a natural, softer look.
Thanks for your suggestions.

Comments (2)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

The problem is that broadleaved evergreen shrubs (like the euonymus) for zone 6 are few and far between. Ideally you want to select something that is going to stay more or less size appropriate, which also limits selection. You give no indication of desired size OR planting space available but boxwood, Japanese holly, pieris, or a number of dwarf conifers could work, as long as you select for appropriate size. Various deciduous shrubs could work equally as well but will not necessarily offer the winter interest.

FWIW, I would love to see any euonymus that could compromise a foundation. Much more likely it is the root system that is finding any cracks, flaws or other instabilities and just aggravating them.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

based on the pic provided.. i have no opinion as to what to recommend ...

ken

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company