Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Creeping Mahonia

Posted by zaphod42 SE WI 5b (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 14:48

I am unfamiliar with this plant, but am intrigued by possibility. Is it more shrub or groundcover? Fast or slow growing? Any significant downsides? Is it fruiting? Poisonous? Edible? Good for wildlife? Overall attractiveness?

Suggestions for what plants go with it? How do grasses look with it? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Creeping Mahonia

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 14:57

Mahonia repens?

o

Yes.

o

It is a groundcover in that it is low growing and has a spreading, creeping growth habit. But not always a very dense or full coverage. Very closely related to our native Oregon grape, Mahonia nervosa, which gets about twice the height but with a similar spreading/suckering habit. Both are very tolerant of dry, shady conditions and like many dry shade plants, can grow rather quickly and robustly if given rich soil and plenty of water.

Yellow spring flowers followed by purple berries (the "grape" part of the name) that are edible but very bitter tasting - best cooked with a LOT of sugar as a jam :-) Can develop leaf spot, rust and burn if in too much sun. Foliage often turns a burnished color in cold weather.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 23:09

I would think this would be in the same group as MM. aquifolium and pinnata, and not M. nervosa which resembles some Asian species such M. japonica and M. lomariifolia.

The main thing you notice about it as a decorative element is it is not as glossy and handsome as M. aquifolium, which can probably be grown in at least as many climates as M. repens.

This post was edited by bboy on Sat, Aug 24, 13 at 13:39

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here