Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hollies re--seeding

Posted by chardie 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 18, 13 at 15:04

I noticed this small holly (second picture below) near my large ones but they don't look alike. When they re-seed do they revert back to a parent?

photo 001_zpsdeba8bac.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hollies re--seeding

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 2:17

The planted one looks like a Meserve holly and the seedling looks like it could be Ilex opaca. Otherwise, unless a different tendency is already known to be in effect any hybrid offspring of any kind of plant could be expected to favor one parent over another - instead of being an obvious combination of the two. Some genuinely hybrid cultivars really look like they aren't hybrids, differ visibly only in certain details.

o

Your volunteer looks like good old Ilex opaca to me too. They are native here and come up under all the trees (from the birds).

I'm actually getting some volunteer seedlings coming up from my blue holly ('Castle Spire'). I'm potting them up because they may just be interesting! I'll observe the form and plant in yard if they look good. I can always use some more male polllinators too.

Since 'Castle Spire' is likely an Ilex rugosa x Ilex aquifolium mix, it may favor either of the parents or look similar to 'Castle Wall'. Of several seedlings coming up, they all show a bit of variation.

I also had a seedling come up that looked like a Nellie Stevens seedling. It was glossier than pura opaca. But Nellie was much better, so I composted it.

I wish hollies were easier to grow from seeds, cause it's a very interesting genus and I can think of lots more interesting hybrid combinations.

This post was edited by dave_in_nova on Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 10:57

o

A friend of mine has what I believe to be American Hollies and they get a handful of seedlings every season. He always offers them to me but I don't like them as much because their leaves are extra prickly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here