Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dying arbor vitaes

Posted by dentiphile PA (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 15:07

Hi all,

Planted some arborvitaes in the Spring, Green Giants.

Are these guys dying? Dead? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dying arbor vitaes

here's another pic

o

middle one is dead...

cant tell on the third one.. how off color it is .. but it isnt looking good

ken

o

Have you been watering regularly?

o

Arborvitaes needs lots and lots of water, especially when they're newly planted. Some mulch wouldn't have hurt either. One is dead, one is very sick, one might be salvageable.

But I have to wonder if you know just how big a Green Giant is supposed to get, because that entire bed is too small for even ONE of them, with nothing else planted in it. They can go 12-20 ft. spread and 50-60 ft. tall. That's why they're called "Green Giant".

Emerald Green Arborvitae might have been a better choice, and DeGroot's Spire even better than that.

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 20, 13 at 12:21

I totally agree, Tina. :-)
Mike

o

I would have to agree with mulchmama. More mulch and watering for sure. Once full grown, you won't see those spirea anymore....

o

Botann, you figured me out! Long time to speak with!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here