Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reinholdt_gw

Help with dying Japanese Maple Shrub

reinholdt
9 years ago

I planted an Acer "Aratama" this past May on the western side of my house in dappled sunlight. The shrub is about 3-ft tall and 2-feet wide.

When buying it, the nursery said to plant it ONLY in aged pine bark and to water it every few days. After 6 weeks or so, the leaves began curling and falling off. I called the nursery, and they said its too dry and to give it a bucket of water every other day, which I've been doing since that time. It looks worse than ever now and appears to be on the verge of dying. The leaves are still curling and falling off.

I dug around the roots and touched the soil. It felt moist--not dry, but not wet--just slightly moist.

A couple of questions:

1. Any ideas what the problem is?
2. I've never heard of planting a shrub in only aged pine bark (nothing else). Could this be the problem?

Thanks for your feedback. I feel sad about this little shrub.

Comments (9)

• User
    9 years ago

Rein,
    It is a dwarf japanese maple tree. It grows very slow.
    Stop watering it so much.
    Taper off, and I only plant my japanese maples in pine bark mulch. Only pine.
    You have to be a little patient with japanese maples.
    It might releaf for you, it might go into dormancy early.
    Don't rule it out, next year it might be fine.
    Try watering it only 2 times a week since it is hot right now and you just planted it this year.
    I take the hose, turn it on low, and leave it under my japanese maples in this weather for about an hour.
    But it depends on your weather, if you get rain, ect.
    Do some research on japanese maples online and get familiar with the tree.
    It is a tree, not a shrub. It might be dwarf, but there is a big difference between a tree and a shrub.
    Good luck with it.
    I was looking at pics online, it's beautiful!

• reinholdt
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK, thanks butterfly, i will try what you say!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i would dig it up.. and take it back for a refund.. and tell them the pine bark theory didnt work ...

we tell peeps to NEVER amend a planting hole... and this dolt took amending to the max ...

i would have no problem planting in the bark.. IN A POT ..

see link on how to plant a tree ... in mother earth ..

as to taking it back.. a pic would sure help us understand how bad it is...

but i do think.. after you read the link.. it ought to be replanted.. properly ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• reinholdt
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ken, here are a few images.

• reinholdt
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ken, here are a few images.

• reinholdt
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another

• reinholdt
    Original Author
    9 years ago

deleted dupe post.

This post was edited by reinholdt on Sun, Aug 31, 14 at 13:08

• reinholdt
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK, I replanted it using only native soil and gave it some water. Hopefully, it will comeback. I wonder how much time needs to pass before seeing any signs one way or the other? A couple weeks?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

its fall in my MI ... one on my JMs looks worse than that.. lol ...

it will come back next spring.. at best... i would not expect much more now ....

and actually ... i would prefer .... it not releaf this late in the year ...

i probably would have put it another 2 or 3 feet from the house... you have given it no room for future growth ... [i am being an optimist ... lol ]

you made the right decision on replanting .. and i presume you followed teh guide ...

now all you have to decide.. is if you want to do it one more time.. lol ..

all it needs.. is proper water.. its not hungry.. its stressed ...

i wish you luck.. let us know how it works out ...

ken

ps: the best time to plant trees... is usually right after they lose their leaves ... its root growing season.. and its so much less stressful w/o the leaves ... just water properly ... so it really doesnt matter if you tree doesnt have leaves.. in fall ..

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH