Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is holly pollination species-specific?

Posted by canishel z7/6b TN (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 2, 09 at 15:18

I'm serious. My yard is surrounded by woods. To the best of my knowledge, no one in the neighborhood has Ilex verticillata except me.
The plants I have are loaded with berries while the two males had very few flowers. Even in the years prior to the males flowering, the winterberries had lots of berries. In fact, the females were planted for several years and had berries before I planted males. But there are also Foster hollies in the yard, and Ilex glabra (compacta and Shamrock). (The glabras so far have not had many berries).

Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is holly pollination species-specific?

The answer to your question is yes and no - some do, some don't :-) The attached link explains it nicely and offers suggested pollinators for specific species. Dirr's Manual of Woody Plants also provides a listing of suitable pollinators by species.

I also found another source which, contrary to most other sources, states boldy that "any holly species can pollinate any other holly species" as long the bloom periods coincide, but since it also contained several glaring errors with regards to hollies, I discounted its veracity.

Here is a link that might be useful: holly pollination

o

gardengal48,
Thanks for the quick reply.
I guess the next question concerns those hollies that whose pollination is not species-specific. Are the resulting berries sterile? Or do the seeds germinate true to either the mother or sire plant (I don't see how they could). I'm now concerned with the possibilty of generating some highly invasive shrubs.
The worry never ends...

o

If pollinated by two different species, they would be hybrids. There are naturally occurring native hybrids (crosses of Ilex opaca and Ilex cassine, for example).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here