Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greyandamy

Button bush, transplant easy?

greyandamy
11 years ago

Hi! I really hate to transplant anything anymore that appears to be doing well... there's the BUT. I "inherited" a button bush (never got it's true name) from my mom, it was a nursery pot in spring. It's doing well, despite the drought, and it's reportedly copious need for moisture. The problem is that it's location is, somehow, come to be on a huge mound (then later comes beautyberries, etc)... I would like to move it (UGH) to an area in back near the moisture loving river birch (suffering this year)but I don't know if it transplants somewhat okay when dormant. The bush is only about 2 feet in diameter, and maybe 2 feet high. It sounds like a baby, but when I was doing root prodding to see how far out the roots came (the white, feeders?)... they came out quite a distance..

I don't know if this develops any type of taproot which would make transplanting harder, or how it would suffer from loss of feeder roots. I know it would be HEAVY and that that would alone possibly break it a bit as the soil is heavier and moist..

Would you attempt to move this, or not risk losing it? The birds ate the buttons it seems, so I may not get seedlings. It seems to sucker?

IF I were to move it safely, when? Would I need to root prune first with shovel?

Thanks for any advice/suggestions!

amy

Comments (3)