Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wexgardener

Location of node on a shrub

wexgardener
9 years ago

Where on a branch of a shrub is the node located I've been told to cut down to that point to encourage growth on branch I need to prune to remove diseased tip. Is It located where the branch meets the stem? Should I make the cut above any swellings where the two meet ? Will the new branch grow in the same direction or in lateral directions?
The shrub is a Guelder Rose?

Comments (9)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    9 years ago

A node is where a bud occurs. Leaf nodes, for instance, are where leaves grow from the branch. Nodes frequently contain dormant buds, which may be activated when pruning occurs.

If you prune just above a leaf node, a new shoot will often develop from the node. It will usually grow out from the direction or directions that the leaf or leaves were growing. Shoots will usually start out rather laterally, but in many cases (and a lot depends on the type of plant) will eventually grow out in the same general direction as the original branch (new leaders growing up and/or out).

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i would cut back to a healthy branch ... choosing one favoring the direction i favored ..

if you do not have such.. then you go back next year.. and reduce to one favoring the direction you wish to train the plant .. depending on how the plant reacts ... there really isnt a predictability factor here ... e.g. .. on roses.. you always want an outward facing bud to trigger active growth .. so as to maximize sunlight and air movement to the center of the plant ... which is not always what you want on a shrub ....

you seem to think.. on some level.. this is a once and done system ... it is not ... its a training system ...

but.. it it is a lot easier on followup ... if you do it.. while things are much smaller .. rather than the first cutting on an overgrown plant...

do keep in mind ... making multiple cuts avoids scarring ... remove 90% of the hanging weight.. then do your surgical cut ...

finally ... you can always take more off next season ... but you cant staple or glue them back on ... so dont get carried away .. initially ,.

pix will get you more specific info ...

ken

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

It was me that talked about nodes. I also wrote, "Make a pruning cut at a node i.e. where a bud, leaf or stalk joins a stem," which pretty much tells where and what a node is. If you go to this link all is explained in a diagram. It shows a rose bush but the correct place for a pruning cut is the same on any shrub.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:274086}}

This post was edited by floral_uk on Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 10:22

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    9 years ago

Awesome graphic, Floral!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Not mine - I just Googled it up. But it is very clear.

• wexgardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The problem is that on my guelder rose the branch node goes back down to the very bottom of the shrub I think it's actually part of one of the stems so should I prune all the way down to the ground or just to an Internode to control the leaf spot I have

• wexgardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

In one case it is the large main stem on the right that has the diseased section at th top should I cut it just above the node of where the two meet or at an internode

• wexgardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

In this case there is adjoins branches should I cut at internode

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

It's a Viburnam.
    Prune away, you can't hurt it no matter where you prune.
    I might open it up a bit and prune out or shorten the affected tips.
    Mike

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath