Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dwarf Ninebark

Posted by nancy0903 06 NY (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 24, 13 at 18:00

i love ninebark (the dark varieties) and know that there are dwarf varieties out - tiny wine, little devil, maybe more.... does anyone have experince with these and have a preference? i am hoping to find one that truly stays to the 3 to 4 feet height and spread promised.
thanks,
nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dwarf Ninebark

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 0:03

The mildew people from back there have been griping about on the internet for awhile is starting to show up in my area. Or another kind - at any rate you end up with whitened, deformed shoots here and there.

Not the most pleasant feature, particularly on a purple plant.

o

I don't have much experience with Ninebarks (recently planted one in the back yard), but I understand that they can be pruned to shape on a yearly basis if necessary.

Jim

o

You can coppice them each year and they'll stay smallish, but a shame to do this to a shrub with the kind of bark that a Physocarpus has! I grow most of mine as small, multi-trunked trees.

Never seen mildew on them here, but that has no relevance for Zone 6 NY.

Sara

o

I have the dwarf Ninebark. I think it's Little Devil but I'll check the tags tomorrow when I post pics or you. It could be Tiny Wine. I love it. It's beautiful. I planted it last summer along with 2 Summer Wine's in various spots in the yard. The color on both varieties are similar and beautiful. The dwarf plant though has taken off and is already chin high (I'm 5' 5"). I have it right next to a Little Lime hydrangea and they are growing exactly at the same rate. Thy look great together but they are both not so "dwarf".
I'll post a pic later when I have access to my pics.

o

Here's some pics....
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

o

thanks. It's a beautiful combination - the limelight and little devil. i was afraid that it wouldn't be so dwarf (as you said). i may go for it, Can't really beat the color - and as suggested above, i'll prune it down if necesssary.
thanks!!

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 28, 13 at 8:44

Deer love my normal Ninebark and it's still in a pot. I'm having a hard time placing it where the deer don't get at it. Deer are usually not much of a problem with the rest of the garden.
Mike

o

Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 18:28

Yes, a Diabolo = 'Monlo' I planted on Camano Island (w WA, USDA 8) proved to be hopeless due to deer access. It was in amongst other, taller trees and shrubs, too, and not out on a lawn - where they couldn't miss it.

The bark doesn't excel to me - various other shrubs produce a similar appearance - but the fresh, reddish fruit clusters can be striking - and the white flowers may sometimes stand out against the purplish leaves. So I wouldn't want to prune the flowering wood away anyway. I also like it a lot better when the shrubs fill in and begin to develop a fountain shape - something that won't happen if you keep cutting them down, so that all the shoots present are young, vertical and spaced out.

o

Can't understand how you can say that about the bark - once the trunks get some girth on them the bark is stunning. I haven't seen anything else that is quite the same.

o

Just goes to show how deer vary depending on area. I live in the middle of the woods. I've counted 18 deer in my yard at one time. Even though I use Liquid Fence on my flowers, I haven't used it on my Ninebarks and the deer haven't touched them. I hope I didn't just jinx myself by writing this.

o

Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 14:20

They're attracted to novelty - including native plants that don't happen to be encountered by those particular deer elsewhere, would otherwise be passed by.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here