Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arbo_retum

Lespedeza and Indigofera Favorites?

arbo_retum
9 years ago

I'm guessing this may be a long shot, but I am asking anyway. I grow a few of these and have become more fond of them. I am putting together a big annual order from Broken Arrow Nursery and am having a heck of a time trying to decide (or not) between these choices below.
I have included all their descriptions- just for those who may want to learn more about them. If you grow a number of these, do you have "if I could only have one," or "if I could only have three, this is what they would be" answers for me?! The only help I can give is that I THINK it is Gibraltar that I have in open shade(no direct sun) and it blooms its head off for a loooong time, and I think i will be putting the new ones in mostly shady spots too. Thanks so much for your help! (And yes, I will be asking the Broken Arrow folks their opinions as well!)

Lespedeza bicolor � Bush Clover � Z5

A fine semi-woody shrub native to Japan where its arching stems can reach heights of 6-8�. Plants cloak themselves with an attractive display of pink to purple flowers in late summer. Flowers are set off by attractive, greenish-blue, trifoliate leaves. Plants are tough as nails showing excellent performance in droughty, well-drained, poor quality soils. As an added bonus they fix nitrogen, improving the quality of the soil as they grow. Although not a problem in our region, this species has shown some invasive tendencies further south where the longer growing season allows the plants to develop mature seed.

�Yakushima� � A dainty, dwarf-mounding selection of bush clover that develops masses of elegant, lilac-purple, pea-like blossoms in late summer. Flowers provide the perfect foil for the refined, fresh-green foliage. A welcome addition to the border front or sun-drenched perennial garden. 2-3�

Lespedeza thunbergii � Bush Clover � Z5

A fine-textured, 4-6� arching shrub cloaked with blue-green foliage and rosy-purple flowers in late summer and autumn. A first rate shrub for late season interest and should be integrated into gardens more extensively. Plants perform happily in average garden soil in full sun.

'Edo Shibori' � A striking form of bush clover with two-toned rose and white flowers that cover the arching stems in late summer and autumn. � 2 gal $24.99; 3 gal $39.99

�Spilt Milk� � A high glamour selection of Japanese bushclover that we find exceptional for its sparkling trifoliate leaves that combine a background of deep green with a prominent patchwork of cream and white flecking. The coloration certainly extends the season of interest for this species but also provides the perfect complement to summer's rich purple pea-like blossoms. Plants are strong growers forming a 5� framework of arching stems. Best utilized in sunny exposures in all but waterlogged soils. �

NEW x �NCDX12� Yuki Cherry Blossom� � From brilliant breeder Dr. Tom Ranney and his outstanding students at NC State comes this long-awaited pink-flowered take on the classic �Nikko� slender deutzia. In spring, the ground-hugging plants are covered with masses of pastel pink blossoms along the lax arching stems. Saturated plum autumn colors add a touch of added late season zest. 1� x 3�

Indigofera kirilowii � Chinese Indigo � Z5

A refined, Chinese native, pea relative developing an upright framework of 18-24" stems graced with texturally attractive blue-green pinnate leaves. In late spring, an abundance of rich pink flowers, held in 6" pendulous clusters begin to develop and continue in succession through much of summer. Plants are durable in the garden showing tolerance of infertile, dry conditions though best performance will certainly occur in high quality soil with good sun exposure. An excellent addition for use in mixed borders in combination with both herbaceous perennials and shrubs. �

Indigofera pseudotinctoria �Rose Carpet� � Rose Carpet Indigo � Z6 A gorgeous, low growing, mat forming selection of indigo with tiny, rich green, pinnate leaves. In early summer, plants showcase cute, short spikes of rosy-pink, pea-like flowers that appear sporadically all season long. Plants are at their best in full sun, well-drained soil and are great company for conifers, boxwood and other evergreens.

Indigofera x �Little Pinkie� � Little Pinkie Indigo � Z6 An easy going and attractive 2-3� rounded shrub cloaked with small, deep green, compound leaves set off by abundant 3" spikes of bright pink flowers in summer. Excellent plant for the front of the sun-drenched border or other small garden space. Thought to be a hybrid between Indigofera ambylantha and I. pseudotinctoria �Rose Carpet�.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cotton-Arbo retum ; free; open 24/7 to the public

Comments (2)