Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sand cherry...prune it back for a fuller appearance

Posted by cadillactaste 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 11, 13 at 18:15

Last year we moved this shrub away from the walnut tree. Thought it had died and cut it back hard...thinking to replace it this spring. To my surprise it rejuvenated!

This is what we now have...should I take 1/3 of the branches down in a pruning or more? Desiring to make a fuller shrub.

I have two more photos to share...for a better visual.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sand cherry...prune it back for a fuller appearance

No clue what to do with it...

o

I had originally cut it back less than 12 inches making a rounded shape. So I was surprised when it bloomed this spring looking like some sort of annual flower it was so small. To now have it seen over the waterfall and blowing in the wind shocking! But wish to if possible...make it fuller.
Any advice is appreciated.

o

i would leave it be....

its just getting re-established.. after the transplant.. and now you want to go whack off most of its leaves ...

think about this next fall ...

its actaully .. growing in its native... normal structure.. and now you want to force what you think will be better for it ... i learned long ago.. its usually better to let the plant soprt such out .. instead of me.. creating all kinds of problems...

as paul said.. let it be ....

ken

o

Be kind to it. Let it grow the way it wants to grow, which is not into a rounded shape. Prunus cistenas are short lived as it is. Let this one alone for whatever time it has left.

o

Alrighty then...thanks! It looks far better than it ever did near the walnut.

o

We were discussing that it had been under that walnut for a good 7 years...it may not have much life left in it...so we'll wait it out...and plant either a Harry Lauder or Red Majestic in its place...when that time comes. So though it will be sad...we will be excited to put something else in its place...but with it fighting and pulling through...we'll let it live out the rest of its time in the proper setting.

o

My experience has been that Corylus species (Harry Lauder's genus) fares poorly near a Black Walnut. The squirrels plant lots of the Filberts (several species and hybrids) all over the place, but not a single one grows near the walnut. Also, I strongly suspect that the walnut juglone killed 2 Harry Lauders that were planted too close (about 30 ft.).

o

Diztmoidonic...hm-mmm interesting and good to know. Was reading a bit about blight also know with the Harry Lauder...and my area has seen a lot of it. So maybe one sadly I'll have to pass on.

Well the sand cherry is still going strong...especially since we've relocated it. I have time to figure out what to plant there then...scratching Harry Lauder off my wish list.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here