Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Disease on Viburnum Tinus

Posted by charlesinsc 8a (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 24, 12 at 18:33

Each year I get this disease on three viburnum tinus. It primarily occurs on the side with the least sunlight and eventually affects almost half of the plant. Can anyone identify? The healthy leaves are dark and medium green in color and the shrubs are otherwise very healthy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Disease on Viburnum Tinus

Probably mites by the look of it. Mite damage on evergreen viburnums tends to be exacerbated by shade :-)

o

Some of mine get thrips and the damage looks very similar...as noted by gardengal, exacerbated by shade. One just couldn't kick it so I cut it down to almost nothing and moved it to a sunny location and it grew back and never had a problem again.

o

basically.. whichever it is.. some sucking insect.. usually on the reverse of green leaves.. is sucking all the vital juices out of the leaves.. leaving them to the weather to brown like that ...

so if you can find some better leaves.. check those.. as there is nothing left to suck out of your examples ...

could we see the whole plant??

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here