Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Eastern Red Cedar:What would you do?

Posted by donnabaskets 7b-8 MS (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 17, 11 at 19:04

This was a seedling on our property when we moved here about 7 years ago. I dug it and planted it by a path, giving it, I thought, plenty of room. It's a lovely shrub, naturally pyramidal in form, and I have never done one thing to it. But it is encroaching on the pathway beside it and is covering the dwarf shrubs I planted at its feet. So, what would you do?

Shear it into a smaller pyramid? (It's really tall and I don't look forward to working from a pretty big ladder.)
Limb it up into a trunked tree?
Move the path and shrubs? (Possible, but there is a limit to how far it can move.)
Any other ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Eastern Red Cedar:What would you do?

Limb it up; it'll still look good and you won't have to do all that work.

o

It will grow to be a good sized tree - it is not a shrub. It grows to 40 feet tall in optimal conditions.

Here is a link that might be useful: information on it

o

Don't forget your other choice, Donna. Remove it entirely. That's a perfectly legitimate option that should occur to us more often. Instead, we're held 'hostage' bya plant that has outgrown its welcome.

o

never shear a tree ... or a conifer ... IMHO

limb it up... and if you dont like it.. then go with what rhiz said ....

its an invasive weed in most areas of the country ... as indicated by you 'finding it' in your yard ... lol ...

if you cant find something better for the space given.. you arent trying very hard ...

as noted.. that cute babe.. is actually a large ugly conifer [see link] ... and IMHO.. not worth the space ... and i am surprised you havent run across many tiny babes in your garden ... if so.. get rid of momma and treasure her progeny ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Excellent advise, all. I rather like the big old cedars once they get solid trunks and open crowns. Just don't know if I have room for that where it is. Thanks, you are right. Ken, I know you are very knowledgeable about conifers, so no shearing. I think I will try limbing it up, and then evaluate whether it stays or goes.... Thanks for the nudge, rhizo.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here