Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help deciding on shrubs for my front yard (Pic)

Posted by huisman98 NC (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 26, 08 at 19:20

I have a small front yard that needs some sprucing up. I live in Raleigh, NC and the yard gets full sun. I have provided a picture below with a preliminary planting plan. This is an older picture, but I already have two compact Japanese Holly bushes in front of my porch where the "For Sale" sign is in the picture. I am thinking of planting a forest pansey redbud tree in the center of my front lawn. I am also considering putting a blue point juniper next to the front corner of my house next to the garage to help hide a garbage can stored there. I have no clue what shrubs to plant at the base of my driveway on either side. Any suggestions would be great. Please feel free to comment on the overall plan. I would love to have your input and will not get insulted by your feedback (yes I know my house is very generic :)).

Thanks!

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help deciding on shrubs for my front yard (Pic)

My only suggestion - before I shut down in anticipation of the lightning in the coming wave of storms from Fay, yahoo for rain!!! - is that you REALLY think about what you plant where at the ends of your driveway - sit in the car and look, and have someone measure, to see what will or won't block your sight-lines. Use cardboard boxes - large ones and medium ones - to mimic shrub sizes to see what will or won't give you a clear sight. It may be better to put any shrubs, bar the really tiny ones, further back, and leave the corners to perennials. The other reason to do so is that the financial cost in replacing perennials is MUCH less, usually, than in replacing a shrub that some blind and demented delivery man didn't see and just ran over!!!

o

Are you wanting to spruce it up in preparation for sale, or as an investment in your landscape for your own personal enjoyment?

o

I'm just looking to spruce it up for my owne enjoyment. I have no plans to sell. The only reason there is a "For Sale" sign is that this picture was taken when I bought my house.

BTW, thanks for the comments about being mindful of visibility issues at the end of the driveway.

o

How about extending your circle around the redbud to incorporate some perennials/annuals underneath?

At the end of the driveway, you could plant some low growing shrubs.

o

I would definitely put a large mulch circle around anything you plant in the lawn. You want to make sure that it's roots don't have to compete with so much grass and to also protect it from the lawnmower/weed-whacker.

I would not bother planting anything at the end of the driveway and instead concentrate your efforts up by the house (at least the first couple of years).

o

Huisman, I think it would be very lovely to have some colorful shrubs and perennials around the area just in front of the windows and the porch on the right. I think doing a quarter circle in that area would be very nice indeed.

o
What is your sun exposure?

Huisman, I think it would be very lovely to have some colorful shrubs and perennials around the area just in front of the windows and the porch on the right. I think doing a quarter circle in that area would be very nice indeed.

Oh yes, what is your sun exposure there?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here