Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandon0413

Do you know what these are?

Brandon0413
11 years ago

And what I need to do to take care of them? I have just been giving them water when I water the lawn, which is about an inch a week all at once. And I have watered one a little every once in a while because it's leaves were turning brown and dying.

The big ones need trimmed as they are starting to touch the house. Does it matter what shape I trim them in?

Comments (10)

• Brandon0413
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The big ones seem to be doing well.

• Brandon0413
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The small one in the back seems to be doing well.

• Brandon0413
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This one wasn't doing well at all when I first moved in. I watered it more often and it got better, but I backed off and it is declining again.

The other one was doing well but it's leaves are starting to turn brown and dry out as well. Maybe they just need more water?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

planted to close to the house???

i would get rid of.. or move the two on the ends ...

it should be rather obvious to you.. that they are too vigorous for the spot ...

i dont know what the green ones are.. but the middle one is.. again.. too close to the house ...

i dont know enough about plant culture in TX to help with replacements ....

good luck

ken

• juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl
    11 years ago

"The small one in the back..." looks like Indian Hawthorne (rhaphiolepis indica). It's a low maintenance shrub that will grow in sun or shade.

• Brandon0413
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey, I thought the company the builders hired knew what they were doing. I suppose they are too close to the house depending on how big they can get.

Maybe I could move the middle one forward, move the big ones on the outside to the back yard where they will get the sun I heard they need to flower and move the other little ones to the left and right. Do you think the three small ones will be enough for this space?

Or, maybe I could replace everything there with some native plants as that's why I was hoping to find out what they are. I'm a noob when it comes to gardening. Give me some ideas!

I think you may be right about the Indian Hawthorne. Looks a lot like it.

• eahamel
    11 years ago

You thought the builder's landscapers would know what they were doing???? Hahahahahaha!!! They are too close to the house for sure. The larger ones are variegated privet. The one on the left is too close to the sidewalk. Both of the privets are too close to the foundation. The smaller one might be a ligustrum, and if so, it's way too close to the house.

The landscapers for this type of job get the cheapest things they can get in bulk, and dig a hole and pop them in, with very little thought to what's appropriate or how they will look in a year or so. I'll bet the same plants are all over your neighborhood. I've seen some real disasters in very expensive neighborhoods.

One inch of water per week might not be enough, considering how hot and dry it is right now (I'm in Houston).

There are some good native plant nurseries in Austin, and I suggest you start looking at what they have, and talk to them about what would do well in that space. You could have some blooming plants there, or at least more interesting plants. (If I bought that house, removing those plants would be one of the first things I'd do. In fact, when I bought my house, getting rid of overused shrubs was just about the first thing I did. I'm no fan of the overused shrubs that you see everywhere.)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

The smaller sick ones are one of the holly hybrids, perhaps Carissa or Needlepoint. Very common, very easy to grow. The two on either end are privet, Ligustrum sinense 'Variegata'. This plant is utterly unsuitable for that location and should be removed.

Chinese privet is one of the most over planted shrubs in the south and is almost always put in the wrong place by builders, who love it.
    Builders, by the way, never know what they're doing when it comes to landscape design.

• Brandon0413
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was being a little sarcastic about the builders, but now I see the extent of it.

I'm going to check out a couple of nurseries and see what I can find!

• eahamel
    11 years ago

Good move! You can do a lot better than that boring, ho-hum assortment of overused shrubs.