Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sources for mail order shrubs

Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 5, 11 at 19:30

Does anyone have any mail order sources for shrubs?...good variety, good value.

Its not feasible for me to buy #3 and #5 shrubs for $30-$40.

I'd rather just go with #1 shrubs.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sources for mail order shrubs

There are soooo many vendors to consider, I hesitate to even start a list (but I guess I will anyway). A lot of it depends on what you are looking for (real rare types of shrubs, native stuff, special interest, edible-fruiting, etc, etc). If you can be more specific, I bet you'll get better answers.

Here are some of the more common ones:

Fairweather Gardens
ForestFarm
Greer Gardens
Plant Delights
RareFind Nursery
Sooner Plant Farm
Woodlanders

This is such an open ended list I won't even give specifics on the one's I've listed. Be sure to consult Garden WatchDog for any contemplated purchase (but the ones above are probably all pretty good).

o

doesnt girards list quite a few???

ken

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 6, 11 at 11:42

Thats a good start (some I'm aware)...thanks.

I left it open ended as I'm looking for sources that cover Azalea to Weigela. Mainly looking for classics and new cultivars...yeah pretty much everything.

New house, new landscaping. Browsing is what gets the ideas flowing. I don't plan to hunt and peck for this go around.

Really the key is #1 shrubs. In certain cases I'll get 1-2 quart plants.

Sooner farm seems to be one of the better ones for value.

o

not to be redundant.. i just didnt have time earlier to add the following:

seems to me.. girards has some cold hardy azelia and rhodies that they developed.. or so they claim.. lol .. i did not try to prove them right or wrong in my z5 ...

ken

o

You may find some interesting stuff at Variegated Foliage Nursery.

Dax

Here is a link that might be useful: Variegated Foliage Nursery

o

Try Musser Forests for quality inexpensive woodies.

Here is a link that might be useful: Musser Forests, Inc.

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 11, 11 at 22:41

tahnks folks...enough to get me going. VFN happens to have the majority of what I'm after.

o

Lazy S's Farm Nursery has quite a variety of quart shrubs and quite reasonable prices. I've been happy with what I have purchased from them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lazy S's Farm Nursery

o

I second Lazy S's Farm Nursery. Some of the hamamelis from Fairweather gardens (just as an example) cost almost $100!!! While Lazy S's doesn't have as large of a selection, there hamamelis only cost around $20, so you're saving quite a bit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here