Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agurkas

Need help identifying this pine tree-like multi-trunk shrub

Apollo S
9 years ago

So I have this 10' tall shrub/tree in front of my driveway and I either move it or get rid of it, since my wife really hates how it blocks view of our daughter's play yard.

What is this shrub/tree and how "movable" is it? If it has deep roots, I probably need to get rid of it. There are so many rocks in our soil, it is absolute hell even digging 3 foot deep ditch.

Comments (2)

• duluthinbloomz4
    9 years ago

It looks to be one of the mugos neglected for a couple of decades. Cut the ropes and cut it down to the ground or you'll have something akin to the ex-planet Pluto to contend with.

It won't regenerate - you've got no needles beneath the rope line to work with... in the event you considered it. If you don't need the space to plant something else, I wouldn't bother trying to dig it out. A hand ax will take out what's left of the branch stumps a bit below ground level.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

not worth moving.. kill it ...

if you cut it to the ground.. it will be dead.. dont even need to treat the stump with killer...

i see enough space in the pic.. to find it hard to believe.. that you would need to plant something directly in that spot ... just move over a foot or two.. in either direction ...

your odds of success are under 25% .. so why waste 8 or 10 hours of digging??

and its surely not worth a couple hundred dollars to hire a tree spade ...

ken